Jestersix

Sacoglossan opisthobranchs / Lettuce Slugs

Hey all,

Does anyone know where I can find any lettuce slugs in the East Bay? I have a Caulerpa forest in areas I can't reach w/o taking down the tank.

Thanks!
Mike

Aren't the common "lettuce slugs" photosynthetic? At any rate the ones in the trade are a horrible animal to buy to eat caulerpa.

BTW what caulerpa? One of the two legal ones I hope, other wise it's not a good idea to post about illegal things :)

I had horrible grape caulerpa in my tank when it was lit by 10k Ushios. I swapped to a 14k bulb for a while and the caulerpa disappeared, I've never had it since, even though I went back to 10ks!

V

Hi gresham,

The caulerpa I have is not the illegal one, can't remember the name tho; prolifera?
BTW' why are the ones in the hobby terrible?
Thanks
Mike

[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=6210.msg78739#msg78739 date=1233882337]
Hi gresham,

The caulerpa I have is not the illegal one, can't remember the name tho; prolifera?
Thanks
Mike
[/quote]

They can become invasive species.

Depending on how much Caulerpa you have in your tank, there is the ability to force Caulerpa to turn sexual and get rid of it all in one shot. Of course that depends on your ability to be on top of it and recognize when it goes into that mode.

[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=6210.msg78739#msg78739 date=1233882337]
Hi gresham,

Thanks
Mike
[/quote]

http://www.sccat.net/

Prolifera is nice but it's just as out of control as the rest (as far as aquarium growth goes). That is the only one I can't get rid off. I've had it for years :( Good news is my new tank will be free of it at first :)

IIRC the blue ring sea hare feeds exclusively on caulerpa...im not sure if it only feeds on only one species, but it may be worth looking into

Back