Our mission

Salifert test kit gone bad?

newfly

Supporting Member
I have been using Salifert Cal and Mag test kit since day 1 (early 2021). Matches the last ICP test results last year. For the past 1-2 months, my Cal and Mg remains high but stable ~490 and ~1480 even with min dosing. 10mil AFR, 22mil Soda Ash, 5mil Ca and 5mg Mg. Alk stable at 8.5. I start to suspect the test kit have gone bad. I ordered a new ICP test, but results won't be back for a week plus.

I run the ca test on fresh batch of TM Pro salt mixed to 0.026. CA is ~500 versus it should be 440. I run the test twice. Now i'm not sure whats the real Ca and Mg value.

Is the test kit gone bad a possibility? Corals seems to be happy, and coraline algae is taking off. I hope the the ca and mg is not dangerously low.

I up Ca and Mg to 12ml while waiting for ICP results. I probably should get new test kit. Any recommendation? Hanna versions seems to be as complicated as the manual test kit. Now sure the value there.

Sounds like everything is within the test accuracy of ~10-15%. Look for trends, not exact numbers. There is going to be little correlation to your icp test, and I don't trust those anyway as you get widely varying results, even from the same sample.

Ca being 500 is fine but maybe a hair high, 400 is fine. Just look for trends. Hanna isn't that complicated and people like the digital readout. You can try mine if you like.

Back