Neptune Aquatics

Scalpel stuck open

PjFish

Supporting Member
Hola!
I recently added a wtb tang 4.5-5 inch (Ctenochaetus flavicauda)
to a 6x2x28h. It was in a smaller 40b observation tank for a bit along with a cbb (Chelmon rostratus).
It then went into a large acclimation pen inside the larger tank. All was well for several days even had small mirror taped to glass near pen… no signs of aggressive behavior from the other tangs or fish so released! The most peaceful shyest smallest out of the tang gang two spot B (Ctenochaetus binotatus) about 3.5ish inches went on an tail slapping rampage! Grabbed wife's large 6x2 wardrobe mirror out of her closet shsh!! stood it up covering the entire end of tank. This immediately ceased all slapping which then almost every fish was at the mirror acting pretty or being a fool! Well except an old pair of clowns that were tending to their eggs! During the confrontation the two spot must have damaged his scalpel so now it sticks out and doesn’t seem to retract like their other side.
Im assuming this happens in nature and will fall off and regrow or fix itself?
If it doesn’t self heal after a while and the scalpel stays out should I use nail clippers to trim? Or just leave it alone
I’ve heard the exporters used to do this before shipping to prevent bag slices which then regrows ..I hope that part of the trade has diminished!!
Pics are just with iphone so not the best I did crop background so can see the scalpel position better!
Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_6179.png
    IMG_6179.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6177.png
    IMG_6177.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6178.png
    IMG_6178.png
    130.2 KB · Views: 44
Wowzers!
Great pics!
I think it will eventually fall off
My purple tang managed to lose one of its scalpels too.
It hasn’t grown back, and is seemingly unaffected

Also IMHO
I would not attempt to have more than one of the Ctenochaetus tangs in an aquarium
I have found them to be far too aggressive towards species family members
(Firsthand experience)

Thanks guys!! Yeah the white tang is a stunner looking fish will keep an eye out on both and relocate the two spot to another system if needed! I thought my PB would have been the bully lol! Other roommate tangs are a chocolate and a blonde. All aggressive behavior has stopped so far crossing fingers!!

Firsthand experience...
I have a C. sp striatus that’s 17 years old in an established tank.
I was most graciously gifted a whitetail bristletooth that was added to my 300
I did allow some weeks go by to allow the new tang to adjust to its new home and other tangs
When I did finally add the striatus.....bad
The stress caused be the striatus resulted in dead Achilles, dead whitetail a bout with some ich
IME...pick a Ctenochaelus and ONLY 1
I have removed the striatus to holding tank and not sure what I’m going to do with it.
It’s an amazing fish and I haven’t seen any more of since!

Back