Kessil

SeaTak - Best Practices & Lessons Learned

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
I bought a couple of SeaTak tubes (refer to picture) and the gun many months ago and they were sitting in my home office waiting to be put into action. Since I continue to struggle with coral glueing etc, I was hoping that this is an easier way to achieve this.

I read the instructions (attached) and found the following videos helpful - however, I was wondering if folks had experience (good or bad) with using this stuff. It seems to take a relatively long time to cure, and has a certain intricacy how it wants to be used (adhesive to adhesive).

My main concern with the long curing is that my urchin would be very likely to knock these over - maybe need to put them in the sump for the time being? Also, it seems as if the flow needs to be toned down for a couple of hours until an intiial curing is complete.

IMG_1783.png

Attachments

• seatak_-_final_instructions__5x8.5_.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
I think it's great for specific uses. I've seen faster encrusting of SPS, no burning of tissue like I do with super glue, but it definitely needs to be used deliberately. I keep plugs and rock in my sump so they don't bubble into glue and are cured (less algae growth), but I have to blot them really dry, scrape on some Seatak until some sticks with a gloved hand, leave a blob on that a little later, then do the same to the frag, and finally join them after. Nothing comes off though once it cures. But sticking to an in tank rock can be difficult. Definitely leave flow off when putting anything recently attached in a tank. And don't touch acrylic with it.

I have been using seatak for a bit now as I was tired of epoxy blowing up my skimmer.

In short it is not the easiest thing to use. I have actually busted two of those guns with my hulk hands.

I actually use the two oz tubes. I cut a corner every time I use it and squeeze out a big portion and paste it on there.

Due to the longer cure time -sometimes I will also use a dab of acrylic glue -but now that @Darkxerox is saying not to expose to acrylic -and curious why- but then that usually hooks on fine. If it’s on top of a rock not concerned but if at tilt-or on side of a rock -then well it can be tougher.

I actually had one coral come off
While I was gone. But that’s been the first one in over a year.

Wear gloves!!! Also put down paper towels on top of any surface area.

Have a love hate relationship with the stuff but it works well.

Back