Cali Kid Corals

seeking recommendations and best practices when Ich is found on fish

Hey friends. Was hoping to get some recommendations from you guys when you see ich on fishes. I have two fish I just noticed ich on today and am trying to make the right move. It's on both tangs, and the only tangs in my tank. I circled some spots on the gem tang in one of the pictures.

Looks like ideally, if I can setup a QT tank and migrate the fish over is the best approach. Ich should probably fall off in a few days as this is the first time I notice signs of it. However, with the holiday around the corner I am schedule to be away so not the most ideal.

Hope to hear your suggestion.

Much thanks!

IMG_0096.jpgIMG_0103_newV2 .jpg

If it’s truly ich you can either manage it long term, or eliminate it. if you choose to eliminate it, you’ll need to move the fish to a QT and let your tank go fallow for 76 days. You may be just noticing this, but it’s probably been been infecting your fish unseen for a while and it’s already in your aquarium, guaranteed. You don’t want to skimp on the fallow period. There is nothing worse than catching and moving fish to QT and then having ich come back when you put them back in the display. You’ll need a QT tank that can support your tangs for a few moths.

Link below is a pretty good rundown of the eradication vs. management approaches.

yah... starting up my QT already. Just fearing my travel schedule. I am gone for 6 nights first week of January and am afraid since I can't attend to it for a week.

My vote is for Ich eradication especially since you only have two fish. Depending on the size of your QT tank, you should be fine. I have done copper and TTM and my preference is TTM by far....much easier IMO.

A little unclear from your description, but if you are going for eradication, and if you have other fish in addition to the 2 involved tangs, they all need to do the QT/TTM thing, not just the tangs.

Going fallow in the main tank means no fish at all in it.

Everyone advocates for eradication but the large majority do management... including most people trying to do eradication

@JVU. Going with eradication, and all fish will go through QT for 6 weeks. Don't have that many fish: 1 Gem tang, 1 Hippo, pair Onyx clown, 2 damsel, 1 starry blenny

Thanks everyone that chimed in.

Reactions: JVU
Back