got ethical husbandry?

Simple 40

Slowly adding corals and livestock to the tank. So far so good!

IMG_8995.jpeg
IMG_9017.jpeg
IMG_9014.jpeg
IMG_9012.jpeg
IMG_9010.jpeg
IMG_9006.jpeg
IMG_9004.jpeg
IMG_9031.jpeg

Last edited:
This tank is so beautiful in person! Question about your plumbing since I’ll be plumbing my first external overflow soon- What is the purpose of the union ball valves on the return lines? I’m not sure if I should add some to my plumbing if I have a DC pump?

This tank is so beautiful in person! Question about your plumbing since I’ll be plumbing my first external overflow soon- What is the purpose of the union ball valves on the return lines? I’m not sure if I should add some to my plumbing if I have a DC pump?

Below are a few reasons why I planned this.
  • The return pump (Varios 6) I planned on using was stronger than the recommended flow for the IM40L. The ball valves could restrict flow if the lowest setting of the Varios 6 was too strong.
  • Maintenance - UV sterilizer sits between the return chamber and the display, shutting off both valves would allow for maintenance of the UV and Sump.
  • Flow Control - If I ever wanted the flow to be stronger on either side, it would be an easy adjustment.
  • Design Research - At the time, most of the tank designs I have seen have this for reasons I still probably don't know about.
Would I do it again?
  • At this point the only benefit I see is maintaining the UV.
What would I do differently?
  • I wish I installed a two check valves (Y type) on both sides under the ball valve to ensure DT water doesn't go back to the return chamber. I could still do it now when I have the time.

Sump Update:
Phosphate .03/Nitrates 5.5 after 30% water change on 6/16.
Feeding 3x/day TDO Pellets/Frozen Brine Shrimp

The plan for nutrient export is to add a small refugium light and maybe Burning Bush/Chaeto in the first chamber once P03/N04 > monthly water change.

IMG_9090.jpeg

Last edited:
And GHL!

Nice sump - most people would recommend against the check valves. They don’t last long unless you keep them very clean. I tried one in my last tank and it only worked maybe 20% of the time.

This is what I read as well, which is why I didn't install it in the first place but reconsidering now since the return area gets pretty dirty. In your check valve setup, did you use the Y style check valve? I am curious what failures you have seen.

This is what I read as well, which is why I didn't install it in the first place but reconsidering now since the return area gets pretty dirty. In your check valve setup, did you use the Y style check valve? I am curious what failures you have seen.

IME with all styles, stuff ends up growing on them so even if they trip, they won't fully seal. With aquariums I serviced that had them, we'd change them out every 6 months.

IME with all styles, stuff ends up growing on them so even if they trip, they won't fully seal. With aquariums I serviced that had them, we'd change them out every 6 months.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been rethinking the check-valve idea because I noticed WWC installing check-valves before the return pump for their client builds. For a hobbyist, check valves might not be economical if the valve needs to be replaced every 6 months.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been rethinking the check-valve idea because I noticed WWC installing check-valves before the return pump for their client builds. For a hobbyist, check valves might not be economical if the valve needs to be replaced every 6 months.

Our builds were six figure, our clients could afford the cost, and in one case, the guy who ran the facility required them. WWC clients also aren't penny pinchers. I'm sure Vic and crew maintain the check valves.

They won't fail after 6 months, but they could very well get growth in them that won't allow a full closure.

If you properly design your sump to be able to hold all the power off overflow, check valves aren't needed.

Slightly off topic, but one of the builds was in a hotel. A seam failed after 15 years and emptied the 450g tank.... the check valves weren't helpful lol

Adding about 15lbs of CA-RX media as substrate. So dirty! Should I add it all at once or over the span of a couple of weeks? Currently I have a bare bottom.

IMG_9229.jpeg

Adding about 15lbs of CA-RX media as substrate. So dirty! Should I add it all at once or over the span of a couple of weeks? Currently I have a bare bottom.

View attachment 58036
Are you saying the media is dirty? you don't want it leaching phosphates a few weeks from now. I was given some that was used, I've bleach / water soaked it 7 days to kills all organics, dried it for 3 days, and now i'm soaking in old tank water and prime to remove any clorine traces.

If your already bare bottom and not in a rush I would toss it in a container with heater and airstone or power head and maybe a rubble from your current tank for a few weeks. Drain water from that container and let the water from your water changes on main tank replace it.

I swapped out 85% of my rocks in my main I did that approach for 3 months and I didn't have any alage or anything noticable pop up at all.

You may not need to do 3 month extreme I did, even 1-2 weeks may make a difference.

Last edited:
The CA-RX is new. I meant it was dusty and not previously used. Rinsed it with tap water then let it sit jn RODI for a few hours. Added it to the sump and will keep it there for a few weeks. In the next few days will pick up a bottle of bacteria. pods, and phyto.

Lights will be off for the next few weeks also :) .

IMG_9231.jpeg

The CA-RX is new. I meant it was dusty and not previously used. Rinsed it with tap water then let it sit jn RODI for a few hours. Added it to the sump and will keep it there for a few weeks. In the next few days will pick up a bottle of bacteria. pods, and phyto.

Lights will be off for the next few weeks also :) .

View attachment 58080
Got it lol, I was just hoping you didn’t mean used already and dried out kinda dirty.

The aggression between the Flame Angel and the Six Line Wrasse peaked a few days ago, necessitating intervention. The Six Line Wrasse has been relocated to the refugium area of the sump. The Flame Angel has been nipping at the Acan corals, causing them to close up. To allow the corals to heal and reopen, they were moved to the sump area for a few days. After a period of healing, the Acans were placed back in the display tank on 7/14/2024 and are currently being monitored closely.

Not the best video quality of the aggression, but the relentless attacks on the flame angel continued which required intervention.

Last edited:
Back