got ethical husbandry?

Skin damage from corals

I have been getting peeling and cracked skin on my hands and fingers after a long maintentance / fragging session on my zoa system. Idk if its just a zoanthid thing, but even when I wear gloves it always happens. Anyone else experience this either with zoas or other corals?

Not me.

When you wear gloves, do your hands stay dry? You could try the arm length ones, or put a rubber band around your wrist with medical gloves.

Are your hands softer and smoother afterwards?
People do salt water dips on purpose to exfoliate skin. It supposedly helps remove dry old layers.
Maybe that is what is happening.
Especially if your hands are rough from real work. Unlike us keyboard surfers with baby-soft skin.

Not me.

When you wear gloves, do your hands stay dry? You could try the arm length ones, or put a rubber band around your wrist with medical gloves.

Are your hands softer and smoother afterwards?
People do salt water dips on purpose to exfoliate skin. It supposedly helps remove dry old layers.
Maybe that is what is happening.
Especially if your hands are rough from real work. Unlike us keyboard surfers with baby-soft skin.
They are just the latex gloves so yeah, water goes in. Maybe I should get some full arm length gloves. And yeah, they are softer and smoother and normally have a crap ton of skin coming off for no reason. My hands are generally pretty soft besides some spots from the gym

They are just the latex gloves so yeah, water goes in. Maybe I should get some full arm length gloves. And yeah, they are softer and smoother and normally have a crap ton of skin coming off for no reason. My hands are generally pretty soft besides some spots from the gym
You can keep your hands dry with regular gloves by putting a rubber band around your wrists. Not too tight.

Also I’d use nitrile gloves rather than latex. A lot of people are allergic to latex and maybe that’s your issue if it only affects the skin where you had gloves on. Plus nitrile are tougher and will shed less fines into your water for what its worth.

You can keep your hands dry with regular gloves by putting a rubber band around your wrists. Not too tight.

Also I’d use nitrile gloves rather than latex. A lot of people are allergic to latex and maybe that’s your issue if it only affects the skin where you had gloves on. Plus nitrile are tougher and will shed less fines into your water for what its worth.
I doubt the water is the issue unless you have the gloves on for a long time (however it may be the slime from the zoas). Like John said try something non-latex and see if that helps. I'm partial to norprene gloves.

Back