Kessil

Sump/Refugium Advice?

patchin

Supporting Member
I have a sump that is divided into two sections. Right now one has my heater, the otherhas a weak return pump. I have my Berlin skimmer outside the sump. I'm wanting to start a refugium and am looking for advice for setting it up in my situation. Any suggestions?
If possible, the skimmer should be inside the sump, I would think. Thanks

Typically the refugium is in-between the overflow area where the water drains from the tank and the return section is where the return pump is.

Hi Steve, I'd consider a siphon fed (rigid airline tubing bent in a "U" and hung on the tank edge just barely under the tanks running water level) refugium for your setup. Whatever size of plastic or glass container you can fit inside any part of the sump, fed w/ a slow flow, and allowed to overflow back into the sump should work. Feel free to ask for more details on any part of this as I'm sure many have similar questions. Hi to Theresa.-Jim

Hey Jim, Good to hear from you. How are things?
On the refugium idea, the U tube hangs on the main tank or the sump? Other than that I understand the concept. Thanks

Steve,
You might want to try a hangon refuguim like the ones CPR makes if dont what to change your existing sump to add refugium.

[quote author=patchin link=topic=2108.msg20823#msg20823 date=1181102705]
Hey Jim, Good to hear from you. How are things?
On the refugium idea, the U tube hangs on the main tank or the sump? Other than that I understand the concept. Thanks
[/quote] The tank. And it should be set so that, if your power or main pump goes out, the water level in the main tank will almost immediately drop below the airline siphon tube. Otherwise, you'll flood the house!

Back