got ethical husbandry?

Sup Reefers

Im back in the Bay and I brought my 10 Gallon reef. Unfortunately ill be moving to Nashville next month. Im getting nervous about moving my tank, as the stress of a 3 day road trip may be fatal. Looking for ideas about possible shipping, or maybe just putting the inhabitants to a better home.

Thanks for responses.

Besides BTA, tell us what you have in your tank. 3-day road trip does not sound good and remember you will have to set up new tank in Nashville and cycle it before adding your livestock. I would definitely look into shipping cost. It also depends on what exactly you have, how attached to them you are, and availability and cost to replace them.

Pair of clown. various corals, snails, crabs, worms, deep sand bed.

Im attached to my tank, however, i want whats best for the clowns and coral. I wouldn't be able to set up a tank before the move, I would have to save water and make new water..... when i get there

What types of corals? Names or pics. I'm sure people who have faced a move will chime in, but it does not sound good at all to me to take them with you.

All of those can be replaced once you're settled in Nashville. Except maybe the torches, If those are the orange ones, people are going crazy for those now a days. If they are basic green, toss those into the ALL can be replaced category. It may be easiest and less stress on all parties involved if you just broke down the tank before you move.

All of those sound pretty easy to replace.

But if you want to keep everything I’d get a battery operated air stone and temp gauge.

1. Put all rocks, fish and inverts in a 5g bucket or large cooler with water...add air stone and temp gauge to that.

2. Put all corals in a 5g bucket or large cooler of water and individually pack corals so they don’t kill each other in containers.

3. Keep the car warm on the drive so things stay warm, or get a cheap inverter and use some of those beta tank heaters.

4. Bring 5 extra gallons of new saltwater for when you get there.

5. Throw away all your old sand and buy new stuff to use when you get to your new place.

6. Clean your tank well and pack it all up.

7. Set up the tank as soon as you get home and use only half of the water from the move and the new 5 gallons.

You’ll probably have a mini cycle but all should be fine.

When you stop to sleep at night, bring your 2 buckets of rocks and corals into the hotel with you and keep warm.

Hmm.
Seems like all livestock is small.
I would get a bunch of 1 gallon wide mouth containers, a 5 gallon sealable bucket, and a couple of large cheap styrofoam coolers.
Put all the corals and fish in the 1 gal containers, and put those in the coolers.
Put a few inches of water in the bottom of cooler, and a temp sensor.
That should be manageable for hotels, trailers, moving, and so on.
Buy several hot packs or ice, to adjust temp as needed.

Then:
Map out some fish stores in cities on the way. Buy some salt water and store in a bucket.
Try to do 50% water changes twice per day.
When you get there, you can still keep livestock in containers as long as you do water changes.
The fluctuations in temp and so on will be hard on things, but not as bad as ammonia buildup.
As long as car and hotel are in the 75-80 range, probably fine.

Thanks for all the great input. Its really hot in nashville right now. Keeping the fish/coral at a cool temp may prove challenging. The more i map out the logistics, the more im leaning towards finding a new home for coral/ fish.

I guess next question is who wants fish and coral. Try to recoup some costs...maybe

Thanks for all the great input. Its really hot in nashville right now. Keeping the fish/coral at a cool temp may prove challenging. The more i map out the logistics, the more im leaning towards finding a new home for coral/ fish.

I guess next question is who wants fish and coral. Try to recoup some costs...maybe
I’m always interested in some more torches.

Back