got ethical husbandry?

Tank cycle and AquaBiomics live reef sand

Hi all. I was expecting to see the 112g tank cycled at 0ppm ammonia by today but it's not. An order of AquaBiomics live reef sand arrives tomorrow afternoon. I assume I can add this to the tank with >0.2ppm ammonia with no problem as it will just help the cycle.

Am I wrong? Thoughts?

Regards,
Ant

My opinion is to get a sump rock from a "trusted" tank that is old and use that.

Adding more bottled bacteria/live sand won't hurt, but I remember reading the live sand isn't ideal for cycling a tank as the bacterial cultures can die in the bag.

My opinion is to get a sump rock from a "trusted" tank that is old and use that.

Adding more bottled bacteria/live sand won't hurt, but I remember reading the live sand isn't ideal for cycling a tank as the bacterial cultures can die in the bag.
The way I look at is if there are 40 strains of beneficial critters in the sand and 30 die off that's 10 I've gained. In addition to the 1-2 strains I get from the initial seeding from Microbacter 7/Fritz TurboStart/Dr Tims etc. Just didn't think I'd still have this much ammonia in the tank at this point.

I will be transferring a couple pcs of coral covered rock from the 75g once it's cycled. After a thorough visual once over and dip/rinse.

Hi all. I was expecting to see the 112g tank cycled at 0ppm ammonia by today but it's not. An order of AquaBiomics live reef sand arrives tomorrow afternoon. I assume I can add this to the tank with >0.2ppm ammonia with no problem as it will just help the cycle.

Am I wrong? Thoughts?

Regards,
Ant

You’ll be fine adding the sand, it won’t die, but it will take a bit of time for the bacteria to reproduce in a 110+ gallons of water to be effective.

If you’re interested in using a maxspect nanoblock from me, you can swap me a new one out for one of mine. I’m in Castro Valley. Or I can give you a cup of sand from my tank.

You’ll be fine adding the sand, it won’t die, but it will take a bit of time for the bacteria to reproduce in a 110+ gallons of water to be effective.

If you’re interested in using a maxspect nanoblock from me, you can swap me a new one out for one of mine. I’m in Castro Valley. Or I can give you a cup of sand from my tank.
Very cool thank you Randy. I’ll take you up on your offer. I’ve ordered a couple of the blocks.

Back