got ethical husbandry?

Tank Cycle

goldielocke76

Supporting Member
Hey all,

I plan on running the new tank lightless for 6 weeks, after hearing about the benefits of doing so from Tony's talk back in December. However, after reading his book, I have a few questions about the cycle. I PM'd Tony on FB, but I know he's really busy and he hasn't had a chance to get back to me yet. So I wanted to ask here to see what everyone thought.

When doing the cycle, does a skimmer need to be running as well? The answer to this question will decide on whether or not I can get this tank up, cycling sooner, rather than later. :)

Also, how is the bacteria fed during these 6 months, if there is no life in the tank? Do we have to "feed" the tank to help the bacteria establish?

And after the first 3 months of dark, I was going to use the last 3 months of dark to help establish a good breeding population of pods in the tank, so every other week or so, I wanted to add some pods to the tank, until the 6 months is over. I am hoping that the darkness helps the pods acclimate well, well enough to where they start breeding so that way I have a great population for my mandarins and wrasse.

I unfortunately didn't have my iPad to take notes that day, so if anyone remembers, or can answer these questions for me will help me out a ton. Thank you! :)

You might want to buy Tony's book, or a similar one.
A lot of those basics are covered well. Also on internet.
Tons of options for cycling, from fish food to pure ammonia. Almost all work fine.
Just be wary of "instant" ones.

Skimmer:
Have to? - No.
Should? - Maybe. Depends on the nasties in the rock you add.
Opinions vary.

Pods: Well, that is a trickier question ....

Growing them in an empty tank is easy. Hard not to.
Wait until it is cycled, then add a bit of good live rock, chaeto, or buy pods.
Then add more food. Nice is a piece of shrimp jammed under a small rock.
You will have tons.

But that may not be the best plan. Population will not be at equilibrium, it will be hopelessly
over-stocked with pods due to lots of food and no predators.
It makes you think you can support ore fish than you might be able to.
Long term, it is more a matter of tank size and rock versus predators.
Look online for more details.
You also may want to look at copepods versus amphipods, and which fish eats what.

PS: I am impressed you have the patience for a full 6 months.
I think I waited a whole week after the nitrite went to 0.
:)

Please forgive me for not getting back to you soon after your question was posted but it may have scrolled by and it was missed. Sorry :( If you need to ask me again don't feel bad if you have to ask me again. I don't bite :)

As for your question, keep all your equipment in operation except for your lights. I have been using this method of cycling for many years with great success. Bare in mind that your live rock and bacteria are metabolizing and producing waste which in turn feed your wild pods. Your pods in turn feed the bacteria with their waste. As these populations grow they will be more than ready to control waste when you introduce fish and coral.

So, don't be afraid to contact me on FB if I do not get back to you.

Thanks Tony! Not a problem, I'll remember that next time :) I know you have been doing lots of traveling, so I didn't want to pester you too much ;)

When you say equipment, are you talking about reactors as well, or are those only added as needed? Then do you recommend a time frame for adding fish? IE, if I add all my gobies first, since they are the least aggressive, how long should I wait before adding my blennies? Just so I do not overload the tank overly much. :)

Thank you again! :D

rygh said:
PS: I am impressed you have the patience for a full 6 months.
I think I waited a whole week after the nitrite went to 0.
:)

Haha thanks. I have my 90 to tide me over until the 210 is fully up and running. :D Unfortunately, due to space, it will be in the bedroom, so that's a bummer, but, getting a bigger tank will make the wait worth it. I can't wait until it's up and running. I'm excited for my fish LOL. :)

**Edit** I do plan on adding copepods vs amphipods. There is a guy that sells them on ebay for $22.95 for 800+. I'm only adding pods because I plan on using mostly new base rock (also getting it from the guy) and seeding it with some of the LR from my tank. I am using newer rock because I have a bristleworm problem that is not out of hand yet, but I don't want it to be. I'm being overly cautious, but after my anthias..... I'll be overly cautious.

Tony Vargas said:
Please forgive me for not getting back to you soon after your question was posted but it may have scrolled by and it was missed. Sorry :( If you need to ask me again don't feel bad if you have to ask me again. I don't bite :)

As for your question, keep all your equipment in operation except for your lights. I have been using this method of cycling for many years with great success. Bare in mind that your live rock and bacteria are metabolizing and producing waste which in turn feed your wild pods. Your pods in turn feed the bacteria with their waste. As these populations grow they will be more than ready to control waste when you introduce fish and coral.

So, don't be afraid to contact me on FB if I do not get back to you.

Live rock feeds "pods"? How so? The bacteria is a source of food for copepods and amphipods, but only to a degree.

Back