Our mission

Test kit storage

Meshmez

Supporting Member
In my effort to have less of my reefing stuff all over my livingroom, I have been working on setting up a fragging/testing station at my workbench in the garage. Today as I walked out into the cold, it occurred to me that I'm not sure how "weather" would affect the test kits.

Now I wouldn't call the temps in my garage extreme, but they are normal for anyone else around here in the south bay.

A quick look at the kits didn't turn up any storage Info, so I was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Kits:
Hanna phos
Hanna kh
Salifert kh
Salifert Ca
Salifert nitrate
Red sea mag

My understanding that the main parameters susceptible to measurement error due to temperature is salinity. I think none of these should have skewed results from being in your garage, but if its been a particularly cold night and you're testing first thing in the morning I would maybe just shake up any liquids reagents or just hold them in your hand to warm them for just a sec. The other thing would be to wait an extra 30 seconds maybe for any reaction to take place. Again somebody with better chemistry skills may have more to say on this but I wouldn't worry about it too much

these tests are all end point assays and not kinetic, so they should be fine. And the reagents should be fine as well in a Bay Area winter garage. Other than mixing/shaking liquid reagents for a bit.

Back