High Tide Aquatics

Test Kits

I use Salifert for alkalinity, magnesium, and iodine. Seachem for calcium. Can't find the reference, but I remember reading about problems with the Salifert Ca test, and that Seachem was pretty good if you aren't afraid of titrations.

I get my Saliferts from Steve at New Alameda. Seachem I get online from Big Al's I think... can't remember.

Nowadays, I check alk every few weeks, and Mg less frequently than that. I don't bother with Ca unless I think something might have gotten wacky. I dose 2-part, so I just dose Ca in an amount equal to what alk is required. Hard for things to get out of balance that way.

Iodine, I tested a few times to figure out what kind of dosing rate I could do. Once I zeroed in on that, I didn't bother to test anymore. I might do it on rare occasion just out of curiosity.

I hate Salifert test kits. They're color change simply sucks in my book :) I use Elos and will never look back at hobby grade test kits ;)

What don't you like about the color change?

A little different than how I did endpoints when I took chemistry classes. In school we looked for the first hint of stable color change. With the Salifert, I go a drop or two past to get a a definate solid color difference.

I'm color blind so I hate all test kits :D ;D .. It's so hard for me to see the color change unless it's really obvious. Most of the time, it's too late for accurate reading.

I just take my water to AG when I need my water tested. 8)

colors used.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2041.msg20020#msg20020 date=1178691600]
What don't you like about the color change?

A little different than how I did endpoints when I took chemistry classes. In school we looked for the first hint of stable color change. With the Salifert, I go a drop or two past to get a a definate solid color difference.

[/quote]

Back