Kessil

Thesassyindian's 13.5 gallon m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ ̶p̶i̶t̶ nano mixed reef

This one fits in the back of the biocube. I'm sure it would fit in the back of yours. This thing is tiny.
Thanks!

I have not actually. I have 4 trochus snails and 5 astrea snails plus a few hermits. Maybe that’s why but I’ve never had it for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 trochus, 6 cerith, 1 conch and 3 nassarius snails. I doubt hermits will eat the film algae from the glass.

Trying to root cause the issue :/

Any news on the film algae?

No idea what’s causing it, but I’ve been scraping it off with a magnetic scraper at night, and changing my filter floss in the am. The tank stays clear after the cleaning at night, and the floss is green in the morning, so it’s clearly photosynthetic.

I’m still waiting on any help as to what’s causing it :)

No idea what’s causing it, but I’ve been scraping it off with a magnetic scraper at night, and changing my filter floss in the am. The tank stays clear after the cleaning at night, and the floss is green in the morning, so it’s clearly photosynthetic.

I’m still waiting on any help as to what’s causing it :)

Yea definitely strange. A while glass cleaning and a big wc might help.

Tank looks very full at this point. The only two additions this weekend will be an RBTA and a green tipped torch.

I clearly have the case of the CAS: Coral Acquisition Syndrome.

Any suggestions on where I could add the torch?

3C43AB02-7200-4082-89F3-336526F14CB7.jpeg

A7F42435-346E-4948-AA49-E88AD110DBB5.jpeg

147665DE-4CD2-4986-A3D6-85033CEEC1DF.jpeg

With regards to the green film on the glass, I found that time takes care of it. It tends to go away on its own. If you’re scraping it and cleaning the socks, you’re already doing a great job of removing it from the tank. Just keep going

Here you go...

Nice try Eric, nice try!

It not a free tank that i need - if you see a similar listing for a free house, I'll take it haha :)

Can anyone help ID these? My Google fu says feather duster worms.

They retract if disturbed.

If so, how bad are they and what’s the best way to get rid of these?
03191D2D-9363-4260-BAA0-D7D30DAA6747.jpeg

Normally people are thankful for feather dusters. Personally I like them in my tank. If you still want it gone they aren’t hard to individually kill by scraping them off, their tubes are very weak.
Vermetid snails on the other hand I’m not such a fan of, but those look different.

Normally people are thankful for feather dusters. Personally I like them in my tank. If you still want it gone they aren’t hard to individually kill by scraping them off, their tubes are very weak.
Vermetid snails on the other hand I’m not such a fan of, but those look different.
Cool thanks! I’ve got a ton of vermetid snails too!
Trying to get rid of them by just scraping them off.

Is there a better way? I’ve heard bumble bee snails, but apparently that’s a myth?

I’ve heard that as well, but never first hand, and it’s unclear to me if bumblebee snails are reef safe. If you find a good reef safe method to get rid of them let me know and we can quit our tech jobs to sell it.
There are a few fish that may or may not keep them in check, but it’s only a minor hell, and not well suited to a small tank.
High power lasers work, but as someone who dabbles in lasers at work, my personal observation is that most reefers I’ve seen use lasers in their tank are nowhere near following proper safety procedures for their family members much less fish.
Personally I snap off the particularly annoying ones and leave the rest. My long term plan is to have 100% coral coverage, at which point they become less of an issue.

I’ve heard that as well, but never first hand, and it’s unclear to me if bumblebee snails are reef safe. If you find a good reef safe method to get rid of them let me know and we can quit our tech jobs to sell it.
There are a few fish that may or may not keep them in check, but it’s only a minor hell, and not well suited to a small tank.
High power lasers work, but as someone who dabbles in lasers at work, my personal observation is that most reefers I’ve seen use lasers in their tank are nowhere near following proper safety procedures for their family members much less fish.
Personally I snap off the particularly annoying ones and leave the rest. My long term plan is to have 100% coral coverage, at which point they become less of an issue.
Thanks for the insights.

On another note, I saw some extensions in the green pocillopora colony. Are those feeding tentacles? Is that a good or a bad sign?

@Cheedo did you see these in your other colonies?

Thanks!

Its been a long time since a journal entry! Thanks for the nudge, @Coral reefer !

No major changes in the tank, other than a generous growth of white stringy sponge growth, which according to @Rostato , @Coral reefer and @max_nano aren't too bad to have in the tank.

I am now looking to get some acropora frags :)

I have quite a few SPS in the tank right now - one frag each of purple stylophora, green pocillopora and tri-color stylophora, orange setosa, red monticap and plating mystic monti.
These were added in October, and the growth is slow, but visible :)

27CF6A7C-8CFE-4D6C-8D55-71988711B64B.JPG

Here's a video update!

Oh no I feel like I’m to blame from when you tried to move to lps and get rid of the poci.

How stable has alk been for you? You keep it up with wc, right?
Damn right you are! Haha

Alk is stable at 9.5dKH, but not only through water changes - I have to dose ESV everyday.

I have a daily drop of about 0.6dKH.

Back