Kessil

Thoughts on cleaning up DBTC threads a bit?

Fish Boss

Supporting Member
So first off, I think it is very awesome that there are so many DBTCs these days! It is a really cool program, and its cool seeing so many people participating. I just submitted interest in a few of the trumpet coral DBTCs, and I noticed at least one was fairly old, over 2 years old, the originating member never passed any out, and they havent been active for over 2 years.

I was thinking that these would be a decent threshold for deleting the post in order to clean up the total DBTCs a bit? If that member comes back, and they still have that coral, they could always re do the DBTC.

I feel like it could be beneficial to clean up some posts, make it easier to find active DBTCs, etc. just wanted to hear everyone else’s thoughts on the subject

Last edited:
This did crack me up:

1729026866170.png

Why post your interest if the thread is over 2 years old and instead just let it die? You're partly creating the problem yourself.

I do agree with you generally speaking, I think DBTC could use some love.

This did crack me up:

View attachment 61636

Why post your interest if the thread is over 2 years old and instead just let it die? You're partly creating the problem yourself.

I do agree with you generally speaking, I think DBTC could use some love.
I’m still getting used to barcode, it didnt exist before when I was active in the club. I saw that this specific DBTC had 2 requests already, which made me think it was active. It wasn’t until I opened up the page on the bar home screen and looked at the owners profile that I realized it was most likely a dead DBTC

also, you’re saying I’m partly to blame for bringing the dead post back up, but if you take a look at it, someone else brought it back up a couple months before me, and someone is bound to bring it back up after me. Thats why I’m actively trying to fix the problem and prevent it from reoccurring XD

Your also talking 100s if not 1000+ threads. With some possibly still around in someones tank. Others that are extinct in the club. Maybe easier and more practical to have a filtering option added say show last 30/90 days, 6months or the last year.

also, you’re saying I’m partly to blame for bringing the dead post back up, but if you take a look at it, someone else brought it back up a couple months before me, and someone is bound to bring it back up after me. Thats why I’m actively trying to fix the problem and prevent it from reoccurring XD

Haha I know, I am just giving you a hard time - this happens all the time. That's why I mostly agree with you.

I think from what I picked up on the last meeting, the webmaster is really busy so it’s hard to make any changes to the forum itself. Would be nice though
That’s understandable. I’m not sure how hard it is to give some permissions to edit/delete bar posts and barcode entries, but if it is somewhat easy I would volunteer to clean up the DBTC a bit.

Could start with a more limited cleanup, around the parameters I stated, overall chain is 1-2+ years old, no frags were given out, original owner has not been active for over a year, therefore they would no longer be a supporting member. This criteria would definitely miss some inactive chains, but seeing as how there is no way we will know if past members that received frags will ever come back, it is the safest criteria that wouldnt delete chains that are active/have coral out there

That’s understandable. I’m not sure how hard it is to give some permissions to edit/delete bar posts and barcode entries, but if it is somewhat easy I would volunteer to clean up the DBTC a bit.

Could start with a more limited cleanup, around the parameters I stated, overall chain is 1-2+ years old, no frags were given out, original owner has not been active for over a year, therefore they would no longer be a supporting member. This criteria would definitely miss some inactive chains, but seeing as how there is no way we will know if past members that received frags will ever come back, it is the safest criteria that wouldnt delete chains that are active/have coral out there
Id be fine with it if no frags were ever given out

What do you think? @BA_Marc
He’s a contractor who helps with website (not BARCode) stuff. Our webmaster who made BARCode is Pablo @svreef, who isn’t really optimally active here anymore. Major decisions would be made by the Board and interested members after discussion anyway.

As far as my first thoughts about your suggestions, FWIW:

- DBTC chains started long ago where nothing was ever given out are functionally dead. I didn’t even know we had any in BARCode, because they don’t show up normally. There’s nothing to be done really. There’s no reason not to delete them from BARCode, but it’s a certain amount of work and maybe only Pablo can. And we have other higher priority fixes waiting months.
- DBTC chains that were active, but now the originator isn’t active, should be left open, since other members can still pass them along.
- Regarding the question about BARCode actions “featuring” DBTC threads, it is intentional that DBTC threads are popped back up into the public consciousness when there is activity in the chain thread, or when the bot gives nudges. The alternative is that DBTC chains and less common equipment are easily forgotten (which is how it used to be). Also they are not actually featured, that is reserved for public announcements and upcoming events. If we all think there are too many BARCode updates we can tweak which ones show up, we’ve tweaked it before.
- Regarding the comment that originators should be able to delete DBTC threads, not allowing that was a conscious decision. Unfortunately because of some negative stuff former members did. The bottom line is that once a DBTC chain is started and frags are given out, it has grown beyond the originator. It’s a BAR-wide thing involving other members. The people who got frags are supposed to pass some along as well, not just the originator.

So anyway, let’s add this to discuss at our next meeting, which needs to happen before the end of the year, but isn’t scheduled yet.

Back