Neptune Aquatics

Transitioning from "Rock Wall" tank to ???

Dorfman

Supporting Member
Greetings All
Its been a while since I posted but to be as brief as possible, I began a 55 gal acrylic "Rock Wall" tank at the beginning of COVID. I thought (think) it looks cool as the entire back of the tank is rocks and gravel embedded in epoxy. My vision was to have corals attached to an growing all over that back wall but it has not turned out that way thus far. I am still relatively new to the hobby and not as disciplined as many of you in your tank maintenance so instead of growing corals on that wall, I have grown nothing by algae due to the challenges getting water to flow into all those nooks and crannies and wash away all the detritus and junk that accumulates on the rocks. Additionally, the acrylic is less than crystal-clear and has developed these weird little micro-cracks as the face of the tank flexes with water pressure. In short, I am chalking this tank up to a learning experience and want to move on to a slightly larger, glass tank with better flow and easier to maintain.

This is where y'all come in:

1. What are some of the pros and cons of the various tanks (~80-90 gal) you all have worked with from Red Sea (Reefer 425?), Waterbox Marine X (110.4?), Aquaforest (OceanGuard 435?), Glasscages, Nyos, Innovative Marine... I would say I'm in the medium price range and looking for something between plug and play and custom. I already have a full suite of Apex tank monitoring gear, and ATO system... but need a well thought out sump with enough flexibility that I can maybe convert from filter socks to filter floss in the future without too much hassle. Hope this makes sense.

2. Second, what do I need to know about using or NOT using live rock, sand and other materials from my existing tank into the new one. I thought I read that live sand is only good for a few years then should be swapped out but that may have been from a sand mfg. Should I use old tanks water mixed with new water for stability for my livestock or make all new water? Any thoughts or suggestions from your own successes and failures are welcome here.

Existing Tank (4 years ago):
1723854654299.png

1. I would not recommend a Red Sea tank. Even if they fixed their seam issues, their customer service in handling things is enough for me to never buy a Red Sea tank again. I really like the Innovative Marine tanks and would work out if you’re in the medium price range.

2. Move your live rock over. I would start with new sand. You’re going to stir up a lot of stuff if you try to move over the sand

Welcome back!! Like @Coral reefer said you can't go wrong with a IM or a waterbox tank. I wouldn't reuse your sand but definitely transfer over your rock.

Wasn't your sump outside or something like that and you had pretty bad temp swings? Am I remembering that correctly?

larger tank = bigger or more fish,,bigger rocks or rock pile scape,,coral real estate,,bigger electric bill from larger heaters and more equipment unless solar compensated,,maintenance is really variable depending on size of cuc and salad munching fish..However if you’re still struggling with algae you will just grow 10x more with larger tank ! Algae is one of the easiest to control vs most of all the other stuff like Bryopsis, Cyanobacteria, dynos etc. Some say larger tanks = more maintenance and take longer to clean which they do on water changes.. But honestly I spend alot more time on my small tanks 40breeder/ 20g long / 10g cube combined then my 200g.. The 200 just runs smooth on autopilot kiss method . Time for me to go knocking on a few tree trunks now! lol..
I believe @popper is selling a nice package not sure if thats to small

Nice to see you still in this amazing addiction and looking forward to a larger build!! Plenty of enablers here and mountains of experience this club has to offer!

This might be a build to watch since it successfully did a rock wall in a low energy tank, however it was pretty ugly for a few months and was by one of the most experienced reefers in the hobby:

You can definitely reuse rock and sand. Taking rock out and scrubbing off the algae then rinsing with tank water will keep the bacteria and micro fauna alive. The sand you can run through a colander or something to rinse out detritus with salt water.

Welcome back!! Like @Coral reefer said you can't go wrong with a IM or a waterbox tank. I wouldn't reuse your sand but definitely transfer over your rock.

Wasn't your sump outside or something like that and you had pretty bad temp swings? Am I remembering that correctly?
Hey man - Good to be back online with yall. You are correct, good memory. My tank water is piped through the wall of my house into a tool shed outside into my sump area. Still having the temp swings during summer but a fan has leveled that out somewhat. I believe this new setup with inside sump will at least eliminate that issue.

Throwing my vote in for crushed coral bottom instead of sand, but if you love that look then go for it.

Agree with the above tanks. I have an SCA and love it. I want an IM, or Waterbox.
Crushed coral bottom has some advantages but a big disadvantage that corals will spread across it.

I run it in my office softie tank and zoas/palys are slowly overtaking the entire substrate. If that doesn't bother you, you're golden.

Back