Cali Kid Corals

traveling with fish

kvosstra

Supporting Member
Question to you out there...I am heading to LA this weekend - and want to pick up a pair of clownfish - these are expensive fish, so I really want to treat them well. I'm flying, and since you cant bring water on the plane anymore...
Is there a good way of doing this? Triple bag - then in a syrofoam box padded with peanuts?

Thanks!

Every single fish you buy (marine fish) has traveled on a few jets all ready. that is no issue. Just have the place do a 1/3 water 2/3 pure O2 and double bag (or triple if you want but clowns aren't known as "spiny fish"). A heat pack will be needed and the box itself should have an internal plastic bag liner just in case the box leaks.

Simply check them in. The bigger the box, the less they will roll it around. Over sized is fine, just take up the extra space with bags of air or packing peanuts.

Oh and of course a thick stryo box inside a cardboard box.

Good points Gresham,

basically, it comes down to this - will I have time to get the fish properly packaged, and is it worth the hassle to check the luggage versus seeing if someone can bring them from reefapalooza, and me meeting them someplace in or near the bay area.

I'd go the airline route. After a 6 hour drive home it's not always fun to have to stop and meet up with some one :)

I've read somewhere on RC that you can actually carry on bags with fish in them. The reasoning is if there is a living thing in the bag, it can't be a bomb. haha. This of course is up to the particular TSA agent that you will be dealing with that day. However I do know of people calling in ahead of time (to TSA) to make sure it was ok to bring the fish in their carry on. This was in regards to bringing fish back from Hawaii.

I HIGHLY doubt that. TSA has placed a full 3oz fluid restriction with baby formula being the only exception I know of.

calling won't do any good as it is the team on the ground who makes the call and you can't reach them.

You can however check them in.

They wouldn't allow any coral frags to be carried on, or fish, from MACNA or IMACwest.

People have actually verified it from what I have read about bringing fish out of hawaii.

Here is what TSA wrote to a person on another site. As I said it is up to the particular TSA agent, but it is allowable.

"As an FYI, I wanted to bring some fish back from Hawaii to CA. I e-mailed TSA, and this is the response I received is below. Bear in mind, the airlines themselves don't check what you have in your carry-on, only TSA does during the screening.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) policy for carrying live fish onboard a commercial airline.

Travelers passing through security checkpoints may carry liquids, gels, and aerosols if these are in containers 3.4 ounces or smaller. All of these must be placed in one, quart-size, clear plastic, resealable bag and must fit comfortably in the bag (3-1-1 rule).

There is an exception to the 3-1-1 rule for live fish. If the fish is alive and swimming in the liquid, then the liquid is not an explosive. In addition, the container holding live fish may be larger than 3.4 ounces. The fish must be swimming in water that is contained in a clear, plastic container that is spill proof. This will allow the Transportation Security Officer to visually inspect the fish at the screening checkpoint.

However, regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, the Transportation Security Officers have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft. Therefore, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items like live fish into the secured area of the airport.

Also, TSA recommends travelers contact their airlines to inquire about any additional guidelines the airlines may have regarding traveling with live fish. For the most current information on TSA security screening procedures, visit our website at www.tsa.gov.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center "

I can write somethign like that and sign it TSA as well. Try it and see but don;t whine to me when you can't and have to toss the fish as that is what they will make you do. TAS at LAX won't let you, or rather they didn't for IMACwest people. PHL won't let you, or rather they wouldn't allow anyone from MACNA to do it.

I fly A LOT. TSA cares not about your fish or coral.

iani said:
There is an exception to the 3-1-1 rule for live fish. If the fish is alive and swimming in the liquid, then the liquid is not an explosive. In addition, the container holding live fish may be larger than 3.4 ounces. The fish must be swimming in water that is contained in a clear, plastic container that is spill proof. This will allow the Transportation Security Officer to visually inspect the fish at the screening checkpoint.

Oh, the geek brain cells are working overtime on this one! :D

Exploding suicide bomber stonefish....

Hey Kyle ... Sorry for being a note of caution, but don't be overly surprised if the airline asks you what is in the box and then rejects the package.

I was trying to check in with SWA a couple years ago with a couple wild juvie onyx that I'd waited 2+ years for. They were packaged in a nondescript box and were the second piece of luggage along with my suitcase. The agent refused to take the box and said I needed to go to cargo which was closed for the day. I asked what I was supposed to do since the animals would die and she basically said that I either had to get rid of the box or not go on the flight. I then checked with TSA about carrying them on, but they said I could not pass with liquids, and even if I had made it through I would not be allowed on the plane with the couple of small bags.

Maybe I just ran into someone who had a tough day, or maybe they were a fish hater ... who knows! In any case I was able to convince the person who had gotten them from me to come back to the airport and take them back so I could make the flight. Fortunately I was able to get them a few weeks later when I drove back down, but it was a hassle at the time.

If you do want to bring these back, I'd suggest a very small styro inside a typical hard sided suitcase. Take along a bunch of clothes to pack around the box, and quadruple pack everything. Just check in the luggage without saying anything about the contents, and hopefully the luggage will pass through the scanners without a problem. Personally I've had more hassles with the LA area airports than the international ones, and as the Hawaii inspectors are familiar with the policy there, I've never had a problems bringing back boxes after a vacation.

Good luck and hope they make it to their new home OK.

I travel with coral all the time and not once have been rejected. I am upfront about it and leave the box open for inspection. saem with Rich, he's never been reject. Oh, and same with Jake :)

Sneaking it in your luggage can lead to some real trouble, I wouldn't do that. It's never a good ide to sneak anything aboard, luggage or carry on. 9:10 my luggage is inspected.

Back