Reef nutrition

Urchin keeps putting spines in MP pump

MarcosDelgado0

Supporting Member
I heard a weird noise from my tank last night and wasn’t sure what it was. This morning when I checked there was a couple of my urchins spines on the sand bed which I thought was weird. Today I heard the same noise and went to check and the urchin had his spines inside the wet side. I’m guess last time he dropped the spine or it was cut off? Not sure what he’s finding in this specific corner that he keeps going there… Would an anemone guard help in this case? I’ve never used one but would that mess with my flow? Or should I look into rehoming him?

Attachments

• IMG_8160.jpeg
    IMG_8160.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8161.jpeg
    IMG_8161.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 40
I heard a weird noise from my tank last night and wasn’t sure what it was. This morning when I checked there was a couple of my urchins spines on the sand bed which I thought was weird. Today I heard the same noise and went to check and the urchin had his spines inside the wet side. I’m guess last time he dropped the spine or it was cut off? Not sure what he’s finding in this specific corner that he keeps going there… Would an anemone guard help in this case? I’ve never used one but would that mess with my flow? Or should I look into rehoming him?

I use them for my MP10s and MP40s and no problem with any of the urchins, but I do not have a long spine. I do not believe these spines will make it through the hole though, at least not the model below. It will reduce the flow but I would just crank up the speed then.

I use them for my MP10s and MP40s and no problem with any of the urchins, but I do not have a long spine. I do not believe these spines will make it through the hole though, at least not the model below. It will reduce the flow but I would just crank up the speed then.

Thank you! I will try one of these. I’m only running at 40% currently so I could turn it up to make up for the reduced flow

Happens with mine as well. Every once in awhile (say once a week or month) I'll hear an annoying noise and first think something in my tank is broken and then remember it's just a stupid urchin.

I'd feel free to just ignore it happening, unless the noise really bothers you. I've not seen any negatives to it occurring.

Back