Jestersix

Water test

I recommend verifying refractometers with RO or even tap water occasionally for this reason. I’ve seen calibration fluid that’s bad even brand new, but I’ve yet to see tap water not read 0. Cal fluid in theory is better, but if your refractometer is in good shape both should be close.
Also It should be easy enough to calculate how much salt you should use for a given volume of water just as another way to check what you are doing when you mix it up.

As I and couple other suspected. Your salinity was causing the elevated parameters...
Glad you caught it and kudos to Rygh for helping..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Mmm... i dunno if that's your full problem. When i used to travel a lot, sometimes my ato runs dry and my salinity creeps up to 1.031+ sg but didn't really impact my corals. Of course, that probably happened gradually versus sudden salinity shock if you simply float and dump you new acquisitions

Mmm... i dunno if that's your full problem. When i used to travel a lot, sometimes my ato runs dry and my salinity creeps up to 1.031+ sg but didn't really impact my corals. Of course, that probably happened gradually versus sudden salinity shock if you simply float and dump you new acquisitions
I agree, but I think the odds are good enough to justify bringing salinity back down before chasing other things.
My LFS a couple moves ago found out they were incorrectly calibrating their refractometer one day. Turned out their display tank salinity was something like 1.032, and probably has been for years. Of course that isn’t 1.035, and probably wasn’t sudden.

I agree, but I think the odds are good enough to justify bringing salinity back down before chasing other things.
My LFS a couple moves ago found out they were incorrectly calibrating their refractometer one day. Turned out their display tank salinity was something like 1.032, and probably has been for years. Of course that isn’t 1.035, and probably wasn’t sudden.
And ideally their alk, ca, mg, etc were still in good normal ranges that makes a significant difference from this situation too.

For sure, need to bring it down to baseline as starting point. Just think there's more to it like Mike says

And ideally their alk, ca, mg, etc were still in good normal ranges that makes a significant difference from this situation too.
For my case, Rygh do a quick calculation and compare if my salinity at right level (1.025 or 35pmm) myCalcium will be at 440ish and magnisium is around 1440ish. I did change out 10 gallon of tank water and replaced with 10 gal RODI water, I will do another 10-15 gal each day until Salinity back to normal.

Last edited:
Back