got ethical husbandry?

Weird sponge in Zoa

Hello! I’m new to BAR and been in the hobby 7 months. I have a question I’m hoping you can help with about my palythoa coral I got when I first started. It’s growing fast and has beautiful green color, but a couple months ago I noticed a weird sponge (?) on the base part of the coral.

It doesn’t appear to be impacting it, but I’m curious if I should have concerns? Also, I want to ensure my two clowns are safe.

It’s hard to see it when they’re open. I’ll edit with a zoomed version.

Attachments

• 910C8308-6B20-4C51-92EF-9A3D0CAB93D0.jpeg
    910C8308-6B20-4C51-92EF-9A3D0CAB93D0.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 148
  • FCD0E0FC-A50F-4696-A6FB-D3FBE2BA0333.jpeg
    FCD0E0FC-A50F-4696-A6FB-D3FBE2BA0333.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 142
Hey welcome! I had a type of sponge (looks different from yours) growing all over my paly at the base and while it didn’t seem to be killing the paly it seemed to be hindering the growth. You can try to remove it and hope it won’t grow back. I ended up fragging mine, now waiting to see the sponge didn’t make it to the frags. Clown should be ok but what concern do you have there?

I had the same sponge start like that at the base of one of my zoas. It quickly grew and started to take over almost smothering my zoa. I ended up fragging them to get rid of the sponge.

Does it look like this?

Thank you, both. This is helpful and reassuring.

My main concern was the coral releasing something that may make my clowns sick.

I may end up paying this one forward to someone comfortable with fragging it. It has grown very well since I got it and other than the sponge it’s been a beautiful addition in my tank.

much appreciated!

Back