Our mission

What do you guys use to test?

MarcosDelgado0

Supporting Member
I’ve been using the Hannah test kits for Alk/Calcium/Nitrate/Phosphate but honestly I haven’t tested Magnesium in a long time. What are you guys using to test this? I’m considering getting the Hannah Magnesium Colorimeter but the reviews I see on it aren’t the best. But I’m also reading they released a new version after the first set so not sure if the bad reviews are from the first version?

Alk and phosphate with Hanna. Calcium and Mag with salifert. Hanna for ca and mg is as complicated if not worst than manual test kit. Not worth it in my opinion.
I used to use the Red Sea test kit for Ca/Mg but honestly was so bad at reading the colors and I felt like I was inconsistent with it. The Hanna Ca is tedious but I feel like at least it’s consistent since it gives you a number instead of reading a color. I’ll look at some videos on the Salifert mg, it’s cheap enough that if I don’t like it I could just pass it on

Main DT: Trident for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. Hanna HR Nitrate and ULR Phosphate for nitrate and phosphate. ICP test every couple months for trace element dosing correction.

Coral QT system: Hanna alkalinity checker. Hanna HR Nitrate and ULR Phosphate for nitrate and phosphate. Don't bother with calcium or magnesium in that tank.

Main DT: Trident for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. Hanna HR Nitrate and ULR Phosphate for nitrate and phosphate. ICP test every couple months for trace element dosing correction.

Coral QT system: Hanna alkalinity checker. Hanna HR Nitrate and ULR Phosphate for nitrate and phosphate. Don't bother with calcium or magnesium in that tank.
I sold my trident a while back when I thought I was moving and leaving the hobby :( Now I’m holding out for the Hydros Maven so I can stop testing lol

Alk and phosphate with Hanna. Calcium and Mag with salifert. Hanna for ca and mg is as complicated if not worst than manual test kit. Not worth it in my opinion.
Agreed, way too many steps for something you don't need to test more than once a month at most (Mg and Ca). I'd only recommend the Hannas there if you're awful at titrations or are colorblind. I use Salifert for those two. Hanna for alk is still fast, then slow but accurate for PO4.

I have,
Hannas: Salinty, Ca, Alk, Po4 low range, and Po4 ultra low range (I can't currently use this one as i'm over the max range of it.)

Salifert: Ca, po4, mag, and Alk.

I don't have any nitrate/ nitrite test kits.

I will typically use both tests when results seem odd or i feel the need to reassure myself my results are accurate.

I also verifiy my personal results are at least in range every couple of weeks by getting a quick spin test done at neptunes for comparsion (probably over kill but I can't afford Icp tests. So it's been my poor mans version for added peace of mind.)

A trident is on my future wish list if one pops up that's in my price range to buy used or trade for it.

I have
hannas Ca, po4 low range, po4 ultra low range (i can't currently use this one as i'm over the max range of it), and alk.

Salifert Ca, po4, mag, and Alk.

I will typically use both tests when results seem odd or i feel the need to reassure myself my results are accurate.

I also verifiy my personal results are at least in range every couple of weeks by getting a quick spin test done at neptunes for comparsion (probably over kill but I can't afford Icp tests. So it's been my poor mans version for added peace of mind.)

A trident is on my future wish list if one pops up that's in my price range to buy used or trade for it.

How much are those quick spin tests there? I wonder what my numbers would look like if I do one and compare it to that

How much are those quick spin tests there? I wonder what my numbers would look like if I do one and compare it to that

$15.00 for their test.

I mostly use it to make sure i'm testing right. Numbers won't line up perfectly of course they don't between my hannas/ salifert. Yet if it's close enough and not something way outside of range lets me know i'm ok on my personal testing.

Agree with the mentioned Hanna and Salifert blend. Only issue is that the Salifert Magnesium reads consistently 100 higher then the Fauna Marin ICP. Calcium and most other values match ICP very precisely.

I have,
Hannas: Salinty, Ca, Alk, Po4 low range, and Po4 ultra low range (I can't currently use this one as i'm over the max range of it.)

Salifert: Ca, po4, mag, and Alk.

There will be some used Tridents coming available when the Maven is out and proven.

I use:
Alk, Ca, Mg, K- Salifert
Phos- Hanna ultra low range
Nitrate- Red Sea Pro

I used to use Hanna for Alk but it was less reliable than Salifert in my experience.

I use a magnetic stir mixer (Speed Test by SR Aquaristik) for all but the nitrate. Including keeping a tiny stir bar in the Hanna cuvette tube.

I don’t really like testing so keeping it simple, reproducible, and easy to read is important to me.

Are the issues you have with the tridents? Or would this just be a more optimal upgrade ?
My 0.02:

My issue is less "I don't like the Trident" and more "I want to have automated nitrate and phosphate testing". The Trident NP offers that, but the Trident is an awkward form factor, and I don't want to pay $700+ for what is (to me) comparatively minor convenience.

Assuming that the Maven is 'good enough', a lot of Tridents will come on the market because 1) it's the latest toy, and 2) people hope it will be more reliable and require less fiddling than their Trident, and 3) it lets you fully customize the testing schedule (while Trident is locked to one of several pre determined schedules).

Automated water testing at the hobbyist level will always require some level of fiddling because there's a lot of moving parts that can break. Personally, I've had quite a few mishaps and issues with my Trident that have required me to open it up and do things like:

Clean the cuvette

Reseat a misaligned PCB

Flush tubes with RO water after salt creep solidified in the tubes

Disconnect and blow out tubes, then reseat them in the pinch valves

None of these were difficult to fix by themselves, but it did take me a bit of time each time to diagnose what was wrong and how to correct it. People (justifiably, I feel) think that if they're paying $700 for something it should just work, and I'd imagine are willing to give Hydros a shot in the hopes it's less maintenance. Practically, I feel like the Trident has still saved me time even factoring in the maintenance, and I just want to test for nutrients too.

Edit: I'm also planning on getting a Maven as soon as I can and doing a detailed writeup, and we may also have an automation workshop in the (near?) future with a rep from CoralVue that would be an excellent place to discuss some of your questions too.

@IOnceWasLegend

That would be cool having a group talk about the subject, I've never seen one in person let alone do I know the ins and outs as far as what it does and doesn't, and potential issues with them. So your thoughts are very informative.

From a generalist view i see the merits of having a way to know results without having to play at being a chemist. The time it would save. Same as not having to hand dose daily. Yet at the present moment I'm content with the lessons gleaned from doing things the manual way. Yet I still look foward to be able move on to easier methods.

Lol it would be like using a talk to text app, and never actually learning how to type or write.

Once you know the basics the next logical step is seeking to make things more convient.

Reactions: JVU
Testing Nitrate or Phosphate more than once a week does not resonate with me. In fact, I am hoping to go to a monthly testing some time (not right now). Automating a weekly or less frequent process does not work for my understanding of efficiency. I do not like testing, but it is so easy to do with the stirrer that John mentioned, and using tests which are easy to do and to replicate results. And if there are any issues with my testing, I will see them in the ICPs, which I feel are a much better investment. Or in other words, if ICP can run automated in our tanks, that would convince me, but not some simple nitrate or phosphate or alk tests. That seems spending more time reading forum over forum article on how to calibrate the device etc, than just testing the water quickly. What I found out I like less than testing, is equipment maintenance. I know I am in the minority with my view here.

@IOnceWasLegend

That would be cool having a group talk about the subject, I've never seen one in person let alone do I know the ins and outs as far as what it does and doesn't, and potential issues with them. So your thoughts are very informative.
I think Robert has a few set up at Neptune Aquatics you could check out. As for what it does/what it is:
  • Tank water gets pumped into a cuvette (basically a test tube)
  • Testing reagents for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium get pumped into the chamber (in three separate steps)
  • A little stir bar in the cuvette mixes up the water/reagent solution
  • A laser shoots through the cuvette and measures the color of the solution
  • This is converted to a number for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium
  • The solution is pumped out of the Trident and into a waste container
Your Hanna alk checker operates on a similar principal, the Trident just automates it. The other method to measure alk (used by KH Director, KH Guardian, etc.) is pH-based: have a pH probe in a sample of tank water. Alkalinity in seawater is a buffer, and will prevent pH changes until it gets overwhelmed. So you slowly add a weak acid, monitor pH until you see a sudden drop, and then the system calculates alkalinity based on that. The more acid you have to add to get the sudden change, means the more alkalinity your tank water has.

@IOnceWasLegend
From a generalist view i see the merits of having a way to know results without having to play at being a chemist. The time it would save. Same as not having to hand dose daily. Yet at the present moment I'm content with the lessons gleaned from doing things the manual way. Yet I still look foward to be able move on to easier methods.

Lol it would be like using a talk to text app, and never actually learning how to type or write.

Once you know the basics the next logical step is seeking to make things more convient.
I 100% think this is the way to go.

When I was a research scientist, the head of the lab I worked in had been a researcher for nearly forty years. He was very competent with new technology, and made extensive use of preassembled kits, but he had a rule: before you used the kit, you had to know how it worked. What the chemicals and reagents in the kit were, how they worked, why you do X and not Y in the protocol, etc. It was a pain in the ass at times, but it forced me to understand and think about what I was doing at every step of the way. And, if something went wrong, it made me extremely efficient at troubleshooting and figuring out how to fix it.

I think those lessons apply to reefkeeping in much the same way. Thinking about what you're doing, understanding why you may do X and not Y, etc. Then, when and if it starts becoming a drain rather than a plus to your enjoyment of the hobby, move to automation. That point is different for every person, and someone's, "That's a waste of money" is someone else's "I need this to enjoy it."

Back