Neptune Aquatics

what happens when SPS corals grow to the top of the tank?

dochou

Supporting Member
Is it bad for the coral to grow up out of the water? Or does the coral know to stop growing upward. If it stops growing upward, what will happen? will the energy that it receives through light and food go to growing it's branches sideways? Will the tips that are out of the water die off and get infected or cause problems?
Just curious because this purple stylo is out of control in my tank.

See pics
20200106_235249.jpg
20200106_235257.jpg
20200106_235331.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20200106_235309.jpg
    20200106_235309.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 181
I’ll shoot a pic of an acro of mine that has done that. The tíos blunt out and spread out. It’s not very pretty. I would say to trim it just befor it gets to the top for aesthetic purposes

They will flatten out at water level then may shade the corals below. I would just frag off like an inch or two and make frags.

I’ll shoot a pic of an acro of mine that has done that. The tíos blunt out and spread out. It’s not very pretty. I would say to trim it just befor it gets to the top for aesthetic purposes

+1 as others have said they spread out at the water surface like they are trying to “encrust” the surface, it won’t hurt the coral (besides self-shading) but will look not very aesthetic.

Back