Reef nutrition

What specifically makes Goniopora so finicky?

Hi all!
I think I pissed my gonis off dosing hydrogen peroxide directly onto their frag plugs to kill bubble algae so they've been looking dead for a day or two and one is only starting to have polyp extension again while the others are totally fine. I know @Srt4eric has had issues keeping gonis when he can keep pretty much everything else and he's not the only person I've heard that from. I'm starting a goni collection so I want to gain as much knowledge on them as possible.
20F85F01-D628-4361-96A5-DBCA62919DD6.jpeg

B28F551D-88F2-4C60-BEAE-51227AD7BD16.jpeg

Does anyone know why some people can keep gonis and some can't?
Why do they reportedly nosedive in health after a month or a few?

It’s important to understand the species you are trying to keep. They are not all the same. Some def seem to need target feeding. Some can handle lots of flow, some can’t etc…

It’s important to understand the species you are trying to keep. They are not all the same. Some def seem to need target feeding. Some can handle lots of flow, some can’t etc…
Agreed. I have a red goni given to me by another person from BAR. The goni was struggling in his tank. In mine it has blown up and it has survived a number of issues I had six to eight months ago. It has doubled in size over the last year and has crazy polyp extension. I don't know what I am doing right or what he was doing wrong, but I will take it.

Gerry

Attachments

• 6DEFAC25-7239-4874-B4F1-1399804D936E.jpeg
    6DEFAC25-7239-4874-B4F1-1399804D936E.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 100
That almost looks more pink but it looks great!
Yes. It definitely looks light red or pink. Just depends on how much polyp extension. It seems to love high water flow and low lighting. I don't spot feed it, but the tank currents usually send fish food into it.

Gerry

Back