Reef nutrition

Aiptasia Majano Anemones Solution

My best luck with aiptasia is just to keep on them, and consider them as part of your tank maintenance. Maybe corals will grow over their holes eventually.

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=5935.msg75118#msg75118 date=1232151975]
My peppermint ate my Ricordia. It left the aiptasia alone though. >:(
[/quote]

Boo, that sucks. Never had aiptasia and ricordia at one, tho'.

I have an aiptasia growing through the large pores in one of my sponges. I tried to nuke it with kalk and it reappeared out another hole... bastage....

[/quote]

Hmmm... I may reconsider the use of peps then!

Currently there are about 500 Aiptasias in my tank...I will slowly nuke them one at a time...sigh...

V

Ive never completely solved an aptasia problem with a product and Ive tried many.However,I have cleaned a tank infestation with a swarm of peppermints a few years back and I recently cleared my 150 gallon reef with a copperband and a some peppermints. Although I think the copperband id all the work.

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=5935.msg75140#msg75140 date=1232156756]
[/quote]

Currently there are about 500 Aiptasias in my tank...I will slowly nuke them one at a time...sigh...

V
[/quote]

It might just be my one crazy peppermint shrimp.

I also have a Klein's butterfly. After he ate all the Aiptasia, he started going after LPS and SPS, so I put him in a separate tank. I decided to try an experiment to see if he would "spot clean" my rocks. I got a rock with Aiptasia and coral growing on it, then put it in with him. He ate the Aiptasia first. When they were gone, I removed the rock. :) I know this would be almost impossible to do in a large system, or with large rocks, but I plan on putting him in a softy/polyp tank (I don't care if he picks at the GSP) and use him to 'spot clean" rock from my other tanks every so often. :)

I realize it is not a solution for all, though.

[/quote]

There are a few different "peppermint" with only one having a true appetite for aptasia. I bet you got one of the ones with out it.

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=5935.msg75199#msg75199 date=1232180064]
[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=5935.msg75140#msg75140 date=1232156756]
[/quote]

V
[/quote]

It might just be my one crazy peppermint shrimp.

I also have a Klein's butterfly. After he ate all the Aiptasia, he started going after LPS and SPS, so I put him in a separate tank. I decided to try an experiment to see if he would "spot clean" my rocks. I got a rock with Aiptasia and coral growing on it, then put it in with him. He ate the Aiptasia first. When they were gone, I removed the rock. :) I know this would be almost impossible to do in a large system, or with large rocks, but I plan on putting him in a softy/polyp tank (I don't care if he picks at the GSP) and use him to 'spot clean" rock from my other tanks every so often. :)

I realize it is not a solution for all, though.

[/quote]

It could be, maybe we just all bring you our aptasia covered rocks for cleaning, kinda like a dry cleaner :rofl

I've had success with keeping aptasias under control with peppermints also. The only place I will typically use some joes juice is if I find one + in the overflow area.

Back