High Tide Aquatics

Anenome in powerhead

Added a rose bubble tip anenome to the flu ville 13.5 aquarium yesterday. I waited for the anenome to settle and it moved around the tank and found a spot it liked and I turned up the lights. I came home today to find the anatomy halfway in the wavemaker. The tank is a little cloudy but all the corals seem to be very happy still. I think I'm going to do a 50% water change and leave the anatomy in there to see what happens.

Attachments

• 20220729_163544.jpg
    20220729_163544.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 102
Had this happen to me last month. Turn the pump off, try to leave it hanging so it can untangle itself if possible. Carbon, water change. If 50% or more is still intact, it should be fine.

Added a rose bubble tip anenome to the flu ville 13.5 aquarium yesterday. I waited for the anenome to settle and it moved around the tank and found a spot it liked and I turned up the lights. I came home today to find the anatomy halfway in the wavemaker. The tank is a little cloudy but all the corals seem to be very happy still. I think I'm going to do a 50% water change and leave the anatomy in there to see what happens.
If you changed the lights and flow after it seemed settled that’s likely the reason it started trying to find a new spot.

Sucks but the advice above is good.

On 13.5g tank you should upgrade the return pump to a DC so the flow is adjustable and is strong enough that you don’t need a wave maker. 0% chance of a shredded anemone at that point.

FYI the biggest issue with anemones in powerheads is that the little stinging cells that normally are attached to their tentacles can get chewed up and thrown in the water column and they are still capable of firing off and stinging everything that gets into contact with them. Not sure if carbon will fix that.

Back