Cali Kid Corals

BEST DAY EVAR! :D

They can eat the others after hatching (BBS). That is not the reason to get DECAPS. The reason is that cysts tend to have vibrio bacterias associated with hem of which can harm your larvae. Many don't find this to be an issue but some do and go the great lengths of decapping or buying decaps.

The thing with decaps is they don't swim and will decompose faster the BBS since they are not alive. The second you put them in the tank, the decomposition starts. You need to be much more aware of water quality with them.

Just placed a rather large order with Seahorse Source. I ordered lots of stuff so that I can set up aeration system better, a 53 micron sieve to strain rotifers, and an 8oz bottle of decapsulated small strain brine shrimp with a count of 7,000 eggs per 1/2 teaspoon and it is a 50 teaspoon bottle (so 700,000 brine shrimp) which should last me. I got creative one day and designed my very own BBS hatchery. :bigsmile:

Did you know that all of the eggs 'synchronize-hatched' at exactly 7:02? I have about 75-100 in the fry tank and maybe 25-50 eggs left. I was actually able to get the entire thing on video in HD and you could see the fry. The banggai is like an alarm system. I have terrible eyes so when I see the banggai jolting around I know the fry are hatching. Once my mom gets the bowl in he hides in the back so I might keep him.

Things to remember: (this is for me later on... it may be slightly interesting to you... IDK) 0:)

1. They start spawning at 2:40 and they have laid the eggs by 4:00 H)
2. The babies hatch at precisely 7:02 which is almost exactly an hour after the lights go out and the pumps are off :glasses:
3. On the night of the hatch the eggs are silvery with a big very light brown yolk sac and they have big black eyes

Will post the video on YouTube later and will post pictures (maybe) later

Hopefully at least 10 survive until metamorphosis. $)

I'm a liar. :(
I have to admit, I miscounted the eggs. There aren't anywhere near 100. :)
There are a few hundred! :D
The eggs just don't disappear after the babies begin to hatch! I've got about 5-6 bowls and there is 50 in each bowl.

Euphyllia said:
I'm a liar. :(
I have to admit, I miscounted the eggs. There aren't anywhere near 100. :)
There are a few hundred! :D
The eggs just don't disappear after the babies begin to hatch! I've got about 5-6 bowls and there is 50 in each bowl.

You mentioned 'billions' of them in your video. I'm severely disappointed.

I was over exaggerating then... LOL :D

So in the rotifer instructions it said to empty 1/3 of the population per day to keep the population young and fertile. I though "Matthew, why waste 1/4 of the rotifers? There may be old ones, but there are definitely young ones!" so I took another bucket, filled it with salt water, and put 1/4 of the rotifers in there to start a new population. :bigsmile:

You'll never guess what... :|
There are 50 eggs or so left at the spawning site, but relying on my deceptive vision it is probably 100, maybe 150 if we're being realistic. Looks like I'll be up tomorrow night. :tired:

eldiablosrt8 said:
Between birth n school you look sick n feverish you may need to use some sick days...

I used all of my sick sympathy early on. I can get everything under control, but I'll do homework for classes during other classes and take naps when I tire during long, boring lectures on logical things. I can try some homework during lunch since they give us an hour to do nothing.

Get some glasses ;). I used to work with younger people before and you'd be surprised how many parents don't know their kids cant see or they do know and never considered getting them glasses, used to drive me nuts :*. That being said where's that video of the fry hatching i never saw the link to that video.

Euphyllia said:
I was over exaggerating then... LOL :D

So in the rotifer instructions it said to empty 1/3 of the population per day to keep the population young and fertile. I though "Matthew, why waste 1/4 of the rotifers? There may be old ones, but there are definitely young ones!" so I took another bucket, filled it with salt water, and put 1/4 of the rotifers in there to start a new population. :bigsmile:

Ok that is wrong Matthew, but way to think out of the box.. The reason to cull them is to keep the population young. Older ones do not produce eggs. Use them to feed you reef tanks but don't start another culture with them, do that with a young culture, not an aged culture.

Statistcly the vast majority are old non egg producing ones.

Today my mom repositioned the light while I was at school and I think it may have light shocked some. 100 are fine, 25 are on the bottom still alive, and some are list swimming in rapid circles. I repositioned the light when I got home and I took all the dead ones out that I could. There are still more eggs.

Sfork: I had glasses, but I didn't use them. Last Wednesday I went to the eye doctor and the are putting new lenses in the frames that I had, so I'll have glasses that I want to wear soon.

GreshamH: Is there a way to tell which are old and which are young? Do they tend to hang around in different spots in the bucket depending on age?

Other then a microscope and measuring their size, no, no way for you to tell.

Back