Our mission

EARTHQUAKE!!!!!!

Gomer said:
Ah, the labs aren't isolated but some systems are. For example, many laser tables are floating
http://www.newport.com/ST-UT2-Series-Upgradable-SmartTable-Optical-Table/603252/1033/catalog.aspx

We have tons of those at work. We're using them for our laser/optical alignment fixtures. Some even comes with feed forward force cancellation system where the servo loop can predict the center of gravity of the table and uses just enough counter force to keep the table levels, even during a dymanic movement. I always like to play around with them by purposely bumping them just to see well it can react. You bump it really hard the the oscillation gets really scary but eventually settles down really fast. Needless to say, the table was way smarter than I was... :bigsmile:

You should get one for the home, Tony.

What can you do to prepare your tank for Earthquake?

These small ones, could trigger the 100 year old Hayward Fault BIG ONE! It's the 100 anniversary!

Sea Lions Leaving Pier 39.... hmmmmm

Not a whole lot. Keep battery back-up, generators, air pumps, etc around.

Sea lions leaving for MORE FOOD. The phytoplankton bloom we normally see has not occured in mass for numerous years. This has lead to low zooplankton blooms and thus far less for for fish. Less fish = starving mammals and seabirds. Starving mammals & seabirds + concentrated toxins and metals in their fat they are now having to burn = dead, sick and departing mammals and seabirds :)

100 yr anniversary? 1910? 1906 was our largest quake around here in the last 104 years.

GreshamH said:
Not a whole lot. Keep battery back-up, generators, air pumps, etc around.

Sea lions leaving for MORE FOOD. The phytoplankton bloom we normally see has not occured in mass for numerous years. This has lead to low zooplankton blooms and thus far less for for fish. Less fish = starving mammals and seabirds. Starving mammals & seabirds + concentrated toxins and metals in their fat they are now having to burn = dead, sick and departing mammals and seabirds :)

100 yr anniversary? 1910? 1906 was our largest quake around here in the last 104 years.

Phytoplankton leaving cause of earthquake! Run for your lives! If there is a big one my nano will be tossed like a ball from lincecums fist esp since i probably live under the hayward fault.

You live under the fault? How's the MAGMA down there (said in my best Dr Evil voice)?

The phyto didn't leave, our ocean is still green ;) It's just not blooming. Low rainfall = less nutrients washed out to sea. The winter wash creates a mass nutrient input which yields a phyto bloom.

It's the damn protazoa, their like Pac Man when the upwellings have been going on, you can smell them and their dirty asses. Give me a good phyto bloom any day of the week, that proto crap sucks.

OT, but why haven't we seen the Portuguese Sailors the past few years? Somethings amiss I tell ya.....

It's the lack of plankton, that's what I put my money on (or maybe lack of proper nutrients). The blues (rockfish) has nearly disappeared from where I usually hunt them and most of the spear fishermen in the area claim the same thing.

Back