Our mission

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

Love it! :D
I really tried to get my kid to go for a swim, but he would have nothing to do with that.
Perhaps because my big heaters were still on order.

3eb2134c.jpg

I picked up a piece of 1" acrylic from Gen. The idea is to peg pieces of live rock onto there and secure it to the right rear wall to simulate depth.

f1c8ccc0.jpg

1/2" fiberglass rods and weldon 16 from Tap Plastics. I'll tap the rods and secure them with a nylon nut (got the idea from Marco Rock demo).

Hey Jim,

The tank looks great so far! Have you thought about doing silhouettes of coral "scapes" instead of the dark paint on the top and bottom of the panels? (like the ones from the shadowbox thread on RC) If the LED behind the panels there doesn't work out it could be something to consider.

sfboarders said:
You're gonna thread those fiberglass rods? Is it possible? Looks like it wouldn't do to good because of the strands in the rods.

The folks at Tap didn't mention anything when i inquired about tapping the rods. They seem more stronger than the acrylic also. I'll have to ask Jeremy how he taps rods.

Arnold, I was wondering when you were going to wake up from your slumber and post something (especially after seeing water in the display tank). You can go back to sleep until post 1000...sweet dreams. :p

gimmito said:
sfboarders said:
You're gonna thread those fiberglass rods? Is it possible? Looks like it wouldn't do to good because of the strands in the rods.

They seemed alot more stronger than the acrylic rods. I'll have to ask Jeremy how he taps rods.

Fiberglass rods is the way to go. That's what I use. I think you wanna use a die though. :)

tam said:
Hey Jim,

The tank looks great so far! Have you thought about doing silhouettes of coral "scapes" instead of the dark paint on the top and bottom of the panels? (like the ones from the shadowbox thread on RC) If the LED behind the panels there doesn't work out it could be something to consider.

Great idea Tam. The acrylic background is a work in progress. I probably need a clear piece of acrylic to do what you suggest. Maybe have interchangeable backgrounds incase I get bored with the backgrounds. ;)

Back