Kessil

Help-Dealing with Tank Seal Leak

There appears to be a leak between the top of the stand and the bottom the tank. My guess is the seal is leaking. This is 4'x2'x2' rimmed Oceananic tank. I bought it used 8 years ago for fresh water planted setup, so it must have been 10~15 years old. I drilled it last year and added ghost overflow.

I am going to move everything to a 60 gallon tank by tonight (may have to break the rocks in half to reduce the height).

Need help thinking through options:

1. Repair - is there a local guy/shop who can reseal this tank?
2. Buy used -
3. Buy new - thinking to wait for another 2 weeks or so to confirm my leak. But wonder if I'd be missing great deals now.

If buying another setup, I am thinking to go 5~6 feet long red sea tank.

Thanks guys!
Julius

Water is dripping between the stand and rim. I felt with hand around the tank glass, about 6” above the bottom rim, all dry. Also checked cords coimg out if water column.

Ghoast overflow is dry too.

No other sources could leak water that high, right?

Here are two photos of tank.

IMG_9810.jpg
IMG_9811.jpg

I have a 4’Lx24”Dx30”H. It has dual overflows in the back. Still has water in it, but no livestock.

0f2bf39c53c21f16f137b68a76066a34.jpg

PM me if interested.

There appears to be a leak between the top of the stand and the bottom the tank. My guess is the seal is leaking. This is 4'x2'x2' rimmed Oceananic tank. I bought it used 8 years ago for fresh water planted setup, so it must have been 10~15 years old. I drilled it last year and added ghost overflow.

I am going to move everything to a 60 gallon tank by tonight (may have to break the rocks in half to reduce the height).

Need help thinking through options:

1. Repair - is there a local guy/shop who can reseal this tank?
2. Buy used -
3. Buy new - thinking to wait for another 2 weeks or so to confirm my leak. But wonder if I'd be missing great deals now.

If buying another setup, I am thinking to go 5~6 feet long red sea tank.

Thanks guys!
Julius

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well regardless of what option you choose it won't be quick, I mean buying a new tank can be quick but IMHO is not something you want to just rush into buying because you HAVE to. So I would say the first thing you need to do is find temporary living arrangements for anything you want to keep so that's good you're moving things to another tank. I wouldn't break rocks though, either let them dry out, or get a rubbermade garbage can and use that temporary storage.

As to your options
Repair - Yeah I wouldn't even consider this on a tank of that size. The trouble it's worth is just not worth the effort of replacement. Now if this was many hundreds of gallons, custom, etc then it's another matter.

Used - Nothing wrong with used if the tank itself is in good condition, the problem with used is you are stuck with getting what's available, and sometimes (often) that's not what you want.

New - Probably the best bet, especially if you just want to go right back to this stand. Doesn't even need to be reef ready, just re-drill it for your overflow and call it a day. You get the size you want, the brand you want, and you'll have more peace of mind that the tank is in good condition (although you will completely obliterate any warranty as soon as you drill it for your overflow).

As for whether or not the tank itself is leaking, once empty put on a level surface (hard) and fill it back up with freshwater, unfortunately it does need to go to the top since the extra pressure is sometimes what pushes the water through those microgaps. Put the tank ontop of paper towels or something, and it should be pretty evident if there's a leak from under. Also before you go to crazy check around the overflow box, if you have a leak there it might simply be dripping down the back of the tank and channeling towards the front corner somehow. Either way good luck, hopefully you're not like me and preparing a Thanksgiving meal with literally zero time to do anything (wait why am I even checking these message boards!)

A new tank is always nice. Aquatic Collection just announced a no-tax sale on their Red Sea tanks for Black Friday (which can be a considerable discount). I haven't seen any other larger tank systems on sale yet.

If I can borrow a tote or light weight (<60 gallon) acrylic tank that can hold water 20” taller, near 94539, let me know.

I have two pieces of rocks that tall I’d like to avoid breaking apart.

Thanks!

A new tank is always nice. Aquatic Collection just announced a no-tax sale on their Red Sea tanks for Black Friday (which can be a considerable discount). I haven't seen any other larger tank systems on sale yet.

Take the plunge! Nice dimensions on the 250 and 350.
Wouldn’t try re-sealing.

Jeremy,

Thanks for the offer. I bought a 32g rubbermaid trash can which houses the tall rock.

Rest with fish went into the temporary setup of 60gallon rimless with a skimz skimmer. It is crowded for fish in there. I will keep up with weekly 15% water change.

Plan to wiggle a large plastic sheet between leaking tank and stand, then elevate tank by inserting 2x4 wood between sheet and tank for better observation. Refill with tap water to test.

Last edited:
Tank emptied and elevated by 2x4s.

Blowing air to dry the inside before filling tap water to test leak.

Thinking to insert a sheet of plastic and towel paper in between tank and stand to better see where leak is.

Suggestions welcome!

Back