Jestersix

Light rails

Anyone use them? Anyone DIY? I'm going to start poking around and see what's available, but wanted to check in first and see if anyone has any experience with them.

I only need it to move my MH ~2'

[quote author=stubbsz link=topic=3180.msg35114#msg35114 date=1203985727]
I was about to say I use it to get to work rather than driving all the way. different light rail.
[/quote] :D

well, likely over doing it, but you should look into the beauty called: 8020.net

I've used their stuff to make several things for the lab.

8020 is nice.

If you don't mind something less high tech looking, you could use Unistrut or B-line and the wheeled trolley things that fit inside the channel.

I'm kinda leaning toward that for my frag setup.

Maybe rig up a bbq rotisserie motor and some kind of drive to move the light trolley back and forth.

The nice thing about the smaller rotisserie motors is that they auto reverse when they can't turn anymore in the previous direction.

Then you don't have to get all fancy with stepper motors, limit switches, or whatever.

Don't remember what model number for the motor. I'll have to track that down.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3180.msg35135#msg35135 date=1203993493]
8020 is nice.

If you don't mind something less high tech looking, you could use Unistrut or B-line and the wheeled trolley things that fit inside the channel.

I'm kinda leaning toward that for my frag setup.

Maybe rig up a bbq rotisserie motor and some kind of drive to move the light trolley back and forth.

The nice thing about the smaller rotisserie motors is that they auto reverse when they can't turn anymore in the previous direction.

Then you don't have to get all fancy with stepper motors, limit switches, or whatever.

Don't remember what model number for the motor. I'll have to track that down.
[/quote]Norman would you explore all the options and get back to me, emphasize low $$$ :D j/k

How about all those Ronco things at the thrift stores you think they'd work? :D

OK now seriously the rail system doesn't seem like a big deal, but when I start exploring motors I'm shocked at the prices (~$200).

My master plan is to mount the track to a "canopy" that is nothing more than a shroud for the lighting crap, sort of like a box to hide the MH, supplements, and track system. That will then be bolted into the studs. Hence the I only need to move the light a foot or so emphasis in the initial post. I'm sticking to my 175w guns but don't want the coral growing directionally, so this seems like the best option for me.

With the McMaster stuff, you'll still need to do limit switches and some circuitry to switch directions at each end of the travel.

Grillpro heavy duty rotisserie motor is like $30, and will auto reverse.

Just buy one, they aren't all that expsenive folks. Unless your time is worthless to you then by all means DIY. Parts will run you around 50 - 80 bucks and the unit itself is roughly double that.

I've used them on grow out systems as well as holding tanks. Sucks when you looking at something only to get knocked in the head by the reflector :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3180.msg35225#msg35225 date=1204048654]
Just buy one, they aren't all that expsenive folks. Unless your time is worthless to you then by all means DIY. Parts will run you around 50 - 80 bucks and the unit itself is roughly double that.

I've used them on grow out systems as well as holding tanks. Sucks when you looking at something only to get knocked in the head by the reflector :D
[/quote]Gresham, could you provide me with a link? The ones I'm looking at are a bit more (ones from PGS etc are over $200). If I were to be setting up a larger more elaborate system, I would be inclined to spend a little more, but I'm just looking to move the light a foot (I know it's all the same regardless of how long the track is, but you know.... ;)) or so.

BTW Gresham, Tough going on Sat, so sorry no gastropods, next time though. Caught a TON of perch though in the crappiest weather ;D

[quote author=Thales link=topic=3180.msg35288#msg35288 date=1204076002]
Put the tank on rollers and catch a demon to move it back and forth for you.
[/quote]Or get real drunk and the room will spin around the tank :D

I had a client recently who wanted a 200+ gallon tank on wheels because he thought it would be cool to move the tank around the house. I asked him how the hell he got all of his money, it would be cool to be rich and braindead ::)

If you don't mind used I looked into a source today that has a bunch. I'll let you know the price as soon as I find it out.

Oh, the cords are cut off so you'll have to put your own on. Ain't no thang though and the price I was quoted is well worth putting your own cord on.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3180.msg35289#msg35289 date=1204077821]it would be cool to be rich and braindead ::)[/quote]

You want to be Britney Spears? :D

[quote author=Thales link=topic=3180.msg35288#msg35288 date=1204076002]
Put the tank on rollers and catch a demon to move it back and forth for you.
[/quote]

Would that have to be done at dead hour (3am) or could you catch a day demon? Would my dream catcher work :p

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3180.msg35331#msg35331 date=1204092562]
Oh, the cords are cut off so you'll have to put your own on. Ain't no thang though and the price I was quoted is well worth putting your own cord on.
[/quote]Cash or check? 8)

[/quote]Or get real drunk and the room will spin around the tank :D

I had a client recently who wanted a 200+ gallon tank on wheels because he thought it would be cool to move the tank around the house. I asked him how the hell he got all of his money, it would be cool to be rich and braindead ::)
[/quote]

Trust me sometimes you don't want to know......

I work for an apartment community and as long as the rent gets paid on time and there's no "trouble" I don't really care other than I wash my hands real good because they always pay in cash.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3180.msg35383#msg35383 date=1204134002]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3180.msg35331#msg35331 date=1204092562]
[/quote]Cash or check? 8)
[/quote]

cash

OK I'm working on my canopy plans, and was wondering what is the best place to procure the rail setups with out motors. I'm going to rig up a BBQ motor to move the light, and just need a short track/wheel set up.

Thanks!

Back