Reef nutrition

low tides 7th and 8th

pictures?

i made it with the family to natural bridges. only way i could even go was to temp the wife with the monarchs.(of course they were gone)
pictures will be uploaded.

[quote author=drdoolittle link=topic=6159.msg78682#msg78682 date=1233867631]
never mind i found it. here is what i found in the web

From the Golden Gate Bridge, follow 101 north and take the Highway 1 exit, following it past Muir Beach to Stinson Beach. North of Stinson Beach, just past Bolinas Lagoon, turn left of Bolinas Road, right on Mesa Road, then left on Overlook road, following it almost to the end. About a block before the cliffs, turn right on Elm Street (I think it's the only paved right turn from Overlook), and follow it to where it basically ends at the Agate Beach parking lot.
[/quote]

Careful for locals and posting directions :) They hate that and are rather militant about it in Bolinas :)

[quote author=yardartist link=topic=6159.msg79321#msg79321 date=1234063637]
Yeowza! I am sore and tired, and sun baked. Just a tad bent over even. I haven't felt so cooked since the Southeast coast. The southwest facing cliff walls made for some great solar return in the afternoon. The wind was way down, and the surf way out. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

One foot mishap with one incoming wave, much of the day was with sog foot. For the most part down side dry.
[/quote]
Did you go to Duxbury Reef??

Does anyone know what time is the low tide at Duxbury Reef tomorrow? I want to go but don't know where to check for the tide.

Yes, and the place was only visible because of a kind local who showed us the way. I think our dog won her over. There is not one sign that says public parking, nor points to the path. I think the tides are between a half hour to an hour or so later each day so tomorrow should be around 3:30- 4:00ish. I googled tides Point Reyes and found them. I also viewed the place by satellite, saw the parking lot, which was a big help. Wish I had looked at the beach more though.

I saw urchins and the large anemones way down the beach to the right. When I get a chance to see the photos I will upload them. How is best? Should I add them to this thread or is there a place they could be grouped. That is if they show anything besides blur.

[quote author=yardartist link=topic=6159.msg79366#msg79366 date=1234075253]
Yes, and the place was only visible because of a kind local who showed us the way. I think our dog won her over. There is not one sign that says public parking, nor points to the path. I think the tides are between a half hour to an hour or so later each day so tomorrow should be around 3:30- 4:00ish. I googled tides Point Reyes and found them. I also viewed the place by satellite, saw the parking lot, which was a big help. Wish I had looked at the beach more though.

I saw urchins and the large anemones way down the beach to the right. When I get a chance to see the photos I will upload them. How is best? Should I add them to this thread or is there a place they could be grouped. That is if they show anything besides blur.
[/quote]

They rip the signs down. Up until recently it was even hard to tell where Bolinas was/is, besides on a map itelf :)

Gresham is so right about Bolinas, half the time you go up there there's no signs, then you get stinkeye everywhere you go.

It's OK though, their about out of water up there, it looks like their isolationist attitude just jumped up and bit them on the butt.

Man I wish we went to HB.. There aren't much to see at Duxbury Reef :(.. Saw only 2 anemones, a lot of snails and some crabs. My boys had fun chasing the bird at the Stinson beach though :D ..

I should have stated clearly it was a hiking experience too. Here are murky photos.
The last photo was from the clifftop on Rt 1 looking at the southern most end of Stinson beach. A true beach 'comber' had scratched up an artifact for the tides later pleasure.

It was a cold and drizzly morning in El Sobrante on Sunday. Right before I finished my water change, my son wanted to "go out." Consulted with my wife and we decided to go to Half-Moon Bay. Lo and behold, no rain and the sun came out at around 1:30 and the beach warmed up. There were lots of anemones, hermits, shrimp, little fishes, snails and seaweed. It was a great day.

Orange Starfish

orangeStar.jpg

Brown Starfish

brownStar.jpg

Checking out the hermit crabs.

hermits.jpg

Thanks to Phong for posting the link. We were there last year, but we stayed around the parking lot. It was fun watching the clamdiggers by the beach, but the tidepool is what neg. tide is all about.

here are my pictures of my trip to natural Bridges SP. it was a lot of fun to walk around, kinda busy and UCSC was digging around in the one big tide pool which sucked so i couldn't look in.
IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

this one was a little washed out and I'm no Photoshop guru so please be kind.
IMG_0079doneup.jpg

My two oldest made the trip with me while the wife and the 2 year old ran around on the beach.
IMG_0090.jpg

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6159.msg79870#msg79870 date=1234241109]
That is cool.. We saw thousand of snails LOL .. HB next time..
[/quote]

Where exactly did you go? I consider myself a seasoned and well informed tide pooler and IME Duxbury is one of the best spots in northern CA.

I went to Duxbury Reef. Is there more than one Duxbury Reef spot in Bolinas? My cowork who live in Marin said if I go fader north there are much better place but I don't think I will go up there next time. The driving suck big time. My wife and kids got dizzy ;D..

1 is less windy, you are very lucky you didn't take the mountain. The locals shoot over the mountain like its the Autobahn and I am not joking.

Can't drive more than 20 mph and you have to turn left or right every 15 feet for 10 miles isn't much fun.. Well it was fun for me but not for my wife and the kids :D ..

Phong, sorry I did not give information about how completely isolated it was. I think I needed to be away as there were very few people around. The animals were isolated as well, but I saw a great variety and when I sat the fish came out into view. The heat of the sun and low wind were great on Saturday. I also liked the shrubs in bloom on the hillside driving between Stinson and Miur. It compensated for the white knuckle driving. We had the windows down the entire time so none of us got sick.

Back