Matt & Asia's 90 gal bowfront

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Ashalye, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Ashalye

Ashalye Webmaster

Yea, I think for the most part the zoas just fight for space in the zoa garden... I think Matt @coral4me has done some weeding every now and then though.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. coral4me

coral4me Supporting Member

Yes I have let them fight it out for the most part, unfortunately some of the nice ones have gotten squeezed out. Every once in a while I go in and chip off and tear out the dominate zoas, but they grow back pretty quick.

3. Ashalye

Ashalye Webmaster

We noticed that on the mobile site, or on tapatalk, you can't see the old photo I have of our tank in my signature. So here they are for comparison:

Feb 2015:
    [​IMG]

March 2015:
    [​IMG]

4. Ashalye

Ashalye Webmaster

@Yippee and @Enderturtle, your watermelon and orange yuma mushrooms are doing well! :)

coral4me likes this.
  5. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

You guys sure do have some good growth in those chalices.

coral4me likes this.
  6. coral4me

Here are a few shots from February 2016
    Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 2.08.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 2.07.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 2.06.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 2.41.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 2.42.06 PM.png

Kmooresf and xcaret like this.
  7. Yippee

Yippee Supporting Member

That is crazy good growth, my 2 babies are no where near that size. Is it fully colored?

Ashalye likes this.
  8. Ashalye

Ashalye Webmaster

A few more photos now that the light is brighter/whiter...

Does anyone else notice that when you're trying to get photos of the corals, the fish totally picture pop, but when I want a photo of the fish, they never pose!! ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

xcaret likes this.
  9. coral4me

I believe it is full color, I've never had a watermelon yuma before so I don't really have much to compare it to.

10. MolaMola

MolaMola Guest

Wow! Beautiful tank - so many interesting corals! I have a bunch of questions...
    In your first photo of the thread (old photo) is there some kind of yellow puffer-like fish?
    New tank shots coral ID questions:
    Blue plates center and on right, I think a clown is hosting in one - purple monti?
    Red with green center polyps near the top by overflow.
    Yellow with orange mouths near front, near something that looks like pale blue ricordea.
    Last pic in post #26 - pastel rainbow something. Also, where is that in the tank?
    Wow. I really enjoy looking at the variety you have.

11. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Love the multicolored zoa garden

Ashalye likes this.
  12. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Wow!!! You guys have AMAZING color!

13. Ashalye

Ashalye Webmaster

Thanks!! :)

14. Ashalye

Ashalye Webmaster

Answering the two I know:

The little yellow puffer guy was a camel cowfish. He was super cute. We were advised that they aren't reef safe, so we gave it to our LFS. :p

The clown is lounging in our purple chalice sponge.

MolaMola likes this.
  15. coral4me

image.jpg
    Ok so the reddish orange coral with green polyps is a Sunset Monti.

The pastel rainbow coral is an Emeral Mummy Eye Chalice, but I think it should be called Rainbow Sherbert. It is located in the center of the tank near the Yuma mushrooms. There are two different darker Mummy Eye Chalices above it and a Pink Boobies Chalice below it. They are starting to encrust over each other now.

Almost forgot one, the yellow polyps with orange mouths are Orange Dragon Eye zoas, similar to sponge bobs, but the Orange Dragon Eyes have a bigger orange center.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Vhuang168 and Newjack like this.
  16. MolaMola

MolaMola Guest

Thanks for the ID! One double check on this:
    Post #19, red and green one under GSP. (couldn't copy pic here)

17. coral4me

Sorry I missed answering one. The red coral with green center is a lobophylia.

MolaMola likes this.
  18. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Just amazing !

coral4me likes this.
  19. Apon

Apon Volunteer

Hi Asia and Matt,

Nice tank!

coral4me likes this.
  20. Calde0920

Calde0920 Guest