Jestersix

Monterey bay Aquarium taking down Jellyfish displays Sept 1st

[quote author=Nanocube-boy link=topic=4070.msg54436#msg54436 date=1220572148]
Really? that's suck that they shut it down. That doesn't sound good for us, but why they shut it down?
[/quote]
Doesn't sound good for us? Can you explain that one to me, I'm confused by that.

In the public aquarium world the move temporary exhibits on to refresh the sites for visitors and create new buzz. With out doing that they end up loosing visitors which they depend on for keeping the aquarium afloat.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4070.msg48696#msg48696 date=1215642812]
I'm not a big seahorse fan myself :( I'd much rather see the jellies :( I did see them a few times though and in the public aquarium world that had to have been the longest running temp display ever :) IIRC it was only meant to last a year :D
[/quote]

Yeah as cool as the exhibit was, in the general public not everyone can keep seeing the same thing over and over again. Same goes for zoos, amusement parks and museums as well, obviously "BIG" exhibits are going to stay, but all in all other things move.

GreshamH, I like jelly fish, as well as you guys and some of us are disappointing that they removed them. I still wish to continue watching them when I come back.

sfsuphysics, that's pretty much using the animal, not care about them much.

Perhaps. However you have to realize that by "using the animal" they get funding, the funding goes towards the research that is done on the animals at these places, which is usually behind the scenes. Also they usually release "when their done" or feel the animal has to go back.

Besides these animals get to stay in an environment without predators, food is abundant, and while they don't exactly have the sense to know "nothing is wrong" most likely they'll survive longer than they would in the wild.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4070.msg55108#msg55108 date=1221158322]
But aren't they just removing the downstair's jelly room? The hybrid art exhibit? They have a second upstairs exhibit too.
[/quote]

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4070.msg48729#msg48729 date=1215667295]
I just got back from a dinner party with Dave. The big jelly exhibit will soon be a sunfish exhibit. They won't remove the jelly fish though.
[/quote]

Just one will be kept. I tried to get some of the tanks but they are going to be used for a road show, and the other display is staying up like you fist said :D

[quote author=Nanocube-boy link=topic=4070.msg55086#msg55086 date=1221153850]
GreshamH, I like jelly fish, as well as you guys and some of us are disappointing that they removed them. I still wish to continue watching them when I come back.

sfsuphysics, that's pretty much using the animal, not care about them much.
[/quote]

Well don't be sad then as they all aren't leaving :D Julie Packard LOVES Jellyfish and she's got a little bit of clout at the MBA....http://www.mbayaq.org/aa/trustees.asp

Every Zoo and public aquarium uses animals for funding, it's why most of them exist in the first place. Have no doubt the MBA cares for their animals above and beyond. At the Georgia Aquarium if any of the feed hits the ground, it's tossed and not fed to the animals. Seems a little extreme to me but I understand where they are coming from :D

Back