Cali Kid Corals

Need Custom Stand

kinetic

Supporting Member
I know it's been asked around, but I haven't found anyone who can make a custom stand for me locally.

I need one for a possible Elos tank, so I want this to be really nice. I don't have time to make it myself right now, which really sucks. I have a really awesome miter saw and everything.

If you guys know any good woodworking company / custom cabinetry place, please let me know.

48" x 20" is the footprint of the tank, and it needs to be a 36" tall stand.

Thanks a ton everyone =)

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=2275.msg22895#msg22895 date=1186600213]
Art - Why don't you just use the stand it comes with?
[/quote]

too short =( It's only 30" tall. The tank is only 20" tall, so it'd only be 50" tall which is a bit over 4 feet tall. It's not in a huge room, so I'll basically be stooping to look at the tank all the time.

I don't know, what do you think? Could I just stick 2x4's under the stand to make it taller?

Ah...good point.

I guess you the look of how my tank was setup - it's nice just to look straight in huh?

If you're going to stick 2x4's under the stand that would be scracriligous. Is there any way you have Elos make a taller stand. If the cost is going to the same for a custom stand builder and the cost of a custom job. I think you're better off with a taller Elos stand. It keeps the same feel if you know what I mean.

I just talked to jesse, and for $300 he can have a custom cabinet maker swap out the two side pieces which the tank rests on for taller ones, and taller doors.

Think that's a good price?

I think all it is resting on are the two side pieces. Given those are replaced and have taller doors, that should be ok.

And yeah, 2x4's under the stand would be pretty awful.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2275.msg22898#msg22898 date=1186601338]
I just talked to jesse, and for $300 he can have a custom cabinet maker swap out the two side pieces which the tank rests on for taller ones, and taller doors.

[/quote]

Sounds good.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2275.msg22898#msg22898 date=1186601338]And yeah, 2x4's under the stand would be pretty awful.
[/quote]

Concrete blocks from Home Depot! :D

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2275.msg22899#msg22899 date=1186601478]
[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2275.msg22898#msg22898 date=1186601338]

[/quote]

Sounds good.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2275.msg22898#msg22898 date=1186601338]And yeah, 2x4's under the stand would be pretty awful.
[/quote]

Concrete blocks from Home Depot! :D
[/quote]

Hey I have some concrete blocks in my backyard! That'd be sweeeeet =)

yeah that's true.

I'll probably see if I can sell my current tank + equipment. If so I'll go ahead and get the system and be done with it =)

Hopefully it's as easy to setup as I think. Just some lifting and eheim tubing...

I just got the same Elos tank and stand from Jesse on Monday. :)

Setting it up on Friday. Why do you need it taller? I actually like my tank slightly shorter as it makes things so much easier to maintain and you can see into the tank from the top. Especially nice with a rimless!

[quote author=Eight link=topic=2275.msg22908#msg22908 date=1186603374]
I just got the same Elos tank and stand from Jesse on Monday. :)

Setting it up on Friday. Why do you need it taller? I actually like my tank slightly shorter as it makes things so much easier to maintain and you can see into the tank from the top. Especially nice with a rimless!
[/quote]

With a 36" tall stand + the 20" height, that's still only 56". That's still about 4.5 feet. I'm 6'3", so I'd still be able to see the tank top down. Also with my pumps running, it's gonna be some crazy turbulence on top as well anyway. Maintenance wouldn't be a problem. If it was like 5.5 feet tall or more, then it'd start getting more difficult.

I do agree the shorter tank isn't bad, but I would love to just be able to walk up to the tank and not really have to stoop down to look at it.

damn $300 for 6 more inches?? :eek:

I would check with LFS to see if they can order you a stand dude. The elos stand look kinda ugly anyway (JIMO ;D).

$300 more for a revised stand :D

The tanks and stand match really well, plus you've already paid for the stand when you buy the tank since just about all the equipment is already included.

I think it would cost Art more than $300 for a custom stand and he would already be stuck with the standard Elos stand.

Back