Reef nutrition

New product reveal!

... has nothing to do with "turbulence. "
Not really. Turbulence causes ripples on the surface. Those ripples cause localized differences in refraction and reflection,
bending the light. That causes you to see the colors flashing and moving

So eliminating surface turbulence does reduce or eliminate disco effect.
(But that would be a bad thing for gas exchange, so not advised.)

Not really. Turbulence causes ripples on the surface. Those ripples cause localized differences in refraction and reflection,
bending the light. That causes you to see the colors flashing and moving

So eliminating surface turbulence does reduce or eliminate disco effect.
(But that would be a bad thing for gas exchange, so not advised.)
Fair point. I should have clarified to be more specific. The disco effect isn't CAUSED by "turbulence" it is caused by the lights design, and then can be somewhat mediated or somewhat exacerbated by surface ripples.

With all that said, I’m intrigued by Neptune’s approach of diffusing out their colored LEDs to reduce disco effect while not diffusing a few white LEDs (different lens without diffusion, looks like holes in the diffuser) to still allow some shimmer through. If it works well, it could be the sweet spot.

With all that said, I’m intrigued by Neptune’s approach of diffusing out their colored LEDs to reduce disco effect while not diffusing a few white LEDs (different lens without diffusion, looks like holes in the diffuser) to still allow some shimmer through. If it works well, it could be the sweet spot.
Agreed. Although I have to say I don't have any disco effect from my Orphek's. Now that may be as much a function of the copious amounts of large rock structures in my tank with just small bands of sand mostly occupied with corals. :)

Agreed. Although I have to say I don't have any disco effect from my Orphek's. Now that may be as much a function of the copious amounts of large rock structures in my tank with just small bands of sand mostly occupied with corals. :)
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the other way of reducing disco effect- Cover all surfaces with brightly colored corals and get rid of sand :)

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the other way of reducing disco effect- Cover all surfaces with brightly colored corals and get rid of sand :)
Yes!!

And interestingly ... since I no longer have sand, maybe I should not worry as much.

If only the new Neptune lights were fanless ......

@Bruce Spiegelman I know you well enough to know arguing with you is a waste of time, so I won’t bother.
I am not trying to argue. I asked you to educate me. You commented that I was wrong, and you knew better, and I acknowledge that's very possible. This board is all about education and helping one another so I ask again if you can help me understand what I believe is to be wrong base3d on your study and conversations with Kessil. Isn't that what we are here for?

@Bruce Spiegelman I know you well enough to know arguing with you is a waste of time, so I won’t bother.
I am not trying to argue. I asked you to educate me. You commented that I was wrong, and you knew better, and I acknowledge that's very possible. This board is all about education and helping one another so I ask again if you can help me understand what I believe is to be wrong base3d on your study and conversations with Kessil. Isn't that what we are here for?
Come on guys, let‘s try to discuss the spirit of what people are talking about rather than getting hung up on whether the exact right verbiage etc was used. Instead of trying to find where you disagree or can take offense, try to find where you agree and can get along. Especially please no arguing about arguing if possible, that is just totally fruitless and neither party comes out looking good. Or failing that just stop responding to each other.

Randy- By turbulence I assume you are talking about surface agitation. Yes that is a big part of both the disco effect and shimmer (turbulence not affecting the water surface is not relevant though). So it makes sense Kessil would say that. But most of us don’t think of surface agitation as optional. The design of the lights, which is actually something we can choose between without sacrificing gas exchange, is also important, as we’ve been talking about.

A very common thing I have experience on the net is this:
As soon as someone feels someone else is arguing, THEY STOP READING AND START REACTING.

The details on turbulence / disco were actually already discussed earlier in the thread.
If someone has more information on that, great.
But please stop the "you-are-wrong" posts.

Side science note:
The energy of a photon is based entirely on the frequency of the light.
Frequency = color. UV/blue end has higher energy than red end of the spectrum.
The lensing effect that causes shimmer only bends light. It does not change the frequency.
So shimmer lines have zero effect on the energy of a photon.

Back