got ethical husbandry?

Salinity survey

What salinity do you run?

Votes: 2 6.5%

Votes: 16 51.6%

Votes: 13 41.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I’ve been running 1.024 for ages, but want to recheck the club if everyone one does it differently.

Last edited:
1.025, 1.026 normally but winter time around here our local NSW suppliers water Ive tested can drop 1.021-22 depending on the rains I assume? So I let it evaporate sometimes or add a touch of flavor.

What's the benefit of 1.026 over 1.025 ?
Doee it make any difference for fish/ corals?

It seems a good portion of members are running at that salinty level?

What's the benefit of 1.026 over 1.025 ?
Doee it make any difference for fish/ corals?

It seems a good portion of members are running at that salinty level?
35 PSU/1.026 sg is the salinity of the ocean. I doubt there’s a noticeable difference in fish/corals to dilute slightly. Like most of our water parameters, we are just trying to make it like a tropical ocean unless there’s some specific reason to deviate. For fish-only systems (no coral) people often run lower salinity because it’s harder on fish disease organisms than on the fish I think.

Captiv8 uses 35.4 ppt as their seawater reference and will check with Chris Woods why he picked this value.

It seems to be the most widely accepted in oceanography and marine science literature and it is the global average seawater salinity. This would mean it includes the higher salinity in the Red Sea, so going with 35 seems to be the most pragmati approach.

RHF mentioned recently that there is no difference between PPT and PSU but I also use PSU now since my Milwaukee refractometer shows too low values on its PPT setting.

ICP providers measure reference parameter based on 35 ppt/psu so keeping it as that level is easier to make adjustments based on these results, if of interest.

Does anyone here just run with whatever they get within a range?
Whats more important is maintaing a stable number on your system, having a range verse a set number you maintain via a auto top off means you would have constant fluxuations thats not good for coral, fish and inverts.

Imagine if you were on sea level today than on top of mount everst tomorrow than half way and back to the top. The oxygen differences would be very detrimental to you heath. (Just a way to think of things)

Yes within the range of 34.5-35.5 PSU lol

I’m not sure what you mean by “whatever they get”- Do you mean you don’t check salinity in your tank or new salt water? I don’t recommend that.
I mean when you add the saltwater to the tank and after addition the final reads at say 1.024 instead of 1.025. Do people fiddle with it to get it exact or just leave it because its hit within a specific range of +\-.001.

Back