Cali Kid Corals

Salinity survey

What salinity do you run?

Votes: 2 6.5%

Votes: 16 51.6%

Votes: 13 41.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
On my tanks with no ATO a point or two lower then NSW gives me a buffer zone since their topped off by hands to a mark or blue tape on glass. Have seen no health or growth disturbances in corals or fish in the tanks that run a bit below.
Plus I don’t have salinity probes or tank controllers yet to get alerts or can easily glance at. I do have several wify inkbirds temp controllers that i get alerts though if needed.

I mean when you add the saltwater to the tank and after addition the final reads at say 1.024 instead of 1.025. Do people fiddle with it to get it exact or just leave it because its hit within a specific range of +\-.001.
I don't have the issue of matching it any more, I make sure tank is at proper levels and topped off before I do the change. The salt water I plan to add I also ensure it matches the tank. If I adjust anything its the water i'm going to add not the actual tank. I also put the water i'm adding next to the bucket I drain the tank in so I know I take out and add roughly same amount.

I mean when you add the saltwater to the tank and after addition the final reads at say 1.024 instead of 1.025. Do people fiddle with it to get it exact or just leave it because its hit within a specific range of +\-.001.
I do.

Clarified my statement: I will adjust sometimes over days to get it to my traget salinity.

Last edited:
I get NSW from high tide so I know at a
Minimum the PPT is 33(1.0249 sg) -
I use a hydrometer and as long as the water is pretty much in the middle of the indicated blue range (all good-last reading 1.025)

Back