Cali Kid Corals

segrass locally?

Not really something they can get through normal wholesalers. best bet in the East Coast online places.

Kensington- sometimes the computer glitches like that, especially if you hit the button twice. Or maybe it's the GITS

Gresh/Matt- yeah, I'm aware of the online vendors. Just had never tried to source the stuff locally before. Thanks for the help though.

Ibn said:
Not really local, but you can always head to socal and join the efforts there.

Huh? Join the efforts? Efforts to obtain it?

All CA seagrass is WAY off limits.

No, just to get rid of it, haha. After seeing masses of that stuff, you'd be put away from having it in the tank.

Ibn said:
No, just to get rid of it, haha. After seeing masses of that stuff, you'd be put away from having it in the tank.

Double huh? The seagrasses in the trade are 100% legal for us in CA to own.

I think he means that it can grow like a weed. If you want a seagrass that grows as fast as Caulerpa, try Halophila ovalis. It will grow right over and through soft corals, so consider yourself warned....

Sounds perfect for a fuge then :)

I'm thinking of putting Pickleweed with Dodder in my surge/mangrove/fuge since it has an area above water just perfect for it :)

GreshamH said:
Sounds perfect for a fuge then :)

I'm thinking of putting Pickleweed with Dodder in my surge/mangrove/fuge since it has an area above water just perfect for it :)

Pickleweed? The local species or a tropical one? If the latter, where are you getting it from? Interested to know how it does in full saltwater....

A lagoon tank has always been in the back of my mind and macros would be a perfect fit. I was curious as to maintainable of them. How do you "feed" them? Pure fish waste? Don't use a skimmer etc? Do you have to add any nutrients/ trace elements?

How about long term care of sea grass? I can see how you can trim the leaves to thin it out, but what about under the substrate? Is compaction a big issue?

Depends on the seagrass. Some seagrasses like Halophila are pioneering species, and others like Thalassia are successional species. Kind of like the difference between diatoms/cyanobacteria and coralline algae in a reef tank. ;) Generally the successional species need a really mucky and enriched sandbed; a lot of this comes from the decomposing remains of several waves of pioneering species and you can't really speed up this process. In order to have the best chance at success you'll need to research the particular need of a species you like and adjust the tank to make it suitable, just like you would for a coral. :D

Some people supplement with Fe and Mn. N and P should be plenty available in a typical tank with fish in it.

Back