Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

SFSU's (Fishnfst's) 180g temporary tank.

Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
17,384
Cool Arnold, I looked for them after a few rounds but they were all gone. At least I know where one is if anything happens

Lapsan, thanks, yeah when I set this tank up way back when that was my goal to keep an open rock structure, which is a bit harder to see now since its covered in corals, but those two structures are actually quite far apart. Unfortunately the progression is impossible to see, but that's what I get for trusting the BAR website with my photos by saving them in each message rather than externally *grumble*
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
4,924
Mike if you log in you can still get to you pictures here.
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=5057.0
 
Past President
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
6,506
When do I get to come for some frags? I'll bring my own saw :)
 

Ibn

Guest
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
5,071
seminolecpa said:
When do I get to come for some frags? I'll bring my own saw :)

Right behind Bryan with my bone cutters. Small tank, so no saw needed. :D
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
17,384
Ian, sweet! I thought they might be on the "old board" but I thought the old board was permanently shut down. This weekend I'll browse through and snatch everything and try to reinsert them.

Bryan, you still got room in that big tank? :D

Eric, you still got room in that tiny tank? :D

mi tanque es tu tanque
 
Past President
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
6,506
You can always find room. I did clear out a ton of room in my frag tank from the swap. I actually was finally able to remove the frag rack in my main tank :).
 

Ibn

Guest
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
5,071
Hehe, likewise.

Managed to clear a decent amount of space thanks to the swap.
 
Guest
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
9,048
getting on the frag train! Not that I need any, but this ride looks like fun :-D
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
17,384
Frag tank? You mean that's not something you just throw up right before the swap and take down right after? :D

Anyways scrolling through past photos, when I should be grading papers, I saw one of my favorite corals in the tank.

It's red, and actually really red, not a brown that's faded out and with a ton of actinic it might look a little red.
It grows fairly fast (see growth)
It tables, not so much a flat efflo type of table, but more like a sea of branches that pop right up.
It was given to me by a fellow member who created the coral in his chemistry basement

Mr Ugly's red Prostrada - 1 year growth

~ January 28, 2009 - Originally gotten back in 2007, I think Norman actually gave this to me on the first SF Tank tour, I could be mistaken when he gave it to me. But this is the first GOOD colored up version... before it was a faded out brown coral ;)
p1240001gt2.jpg



~ October 15, 2009 - Here we see it's stretching out in one particular direction, there's a Vortech ~ 1-1.5 feet from it that's blowing right across the top, I think it likey! The tort in the lower right corner got moved/traded (maybe Rich's tank... I forget which one I gave him), either way good thing I moved it, not only did the prostrada move down the rock, but the Tyree Tricolor also decided to encrust
pa140244.jpg


~ February 18, 2010 - Picture I just snapped, and this thing is a beast! The other tort doesn't stand a chance, in fact it's encrusting onto the dead parts, I really should have fragged that for the swap, but I like the contrast, here's hoping it doesn't grow vertical too much, because that will be one bad ass look to see a sea of red with blue towers poking up. Tyree Tricolor decided to do so more growing. And the nasty cap in the background, well I had some alk issues, it bleached out quite a bit, and the tips are nice clean growth coming back... although I regularly just whack it with my snippers to break off hunks that get tossed into the sump as future frag plugs :D
normsprostradafeb182010.jpg


I'm curious to what this is going to look like in another year. My goal was to have a nice TOTM full looking tank, but if I have to scale back on corals just because this is shadowing a ton, then I'll be happy with that. I've seen tanks where there was a few huge tables and that looks cool too :D
 

Ibn

Guest
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
5,071
Dang, that sucker is a beast! Awesome growth on that sucker.
 
Past President
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
6,506
The growh pattern looks very similar to that of the Red Planet
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
17,384
Does the RP table like this though? Some pictures I've seen have really long branches, where as this one doesn't get too long before it has a branch explosion and they meld into a flat piece.

Or it could be they RP is really the same type of coral, and ORA just is a lovely money making machine with their naming for the masses and their story about how they got this corals decades ago from a Bavarian watchmaker :D
 
Past President
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
6,506
Mine sure as heck does. Dustin at ORA posted a pic of the mother colony on RC on page 6 post 139 of this thread. If you look at some on say page 3 as well from other reefers you will see the hom much it actually tables.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1579687&highlight=red+planet&page=5
 
Guest
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
9,048
my bleached out red planet is still growing well and growing in the direction of tabling.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
17,384
Ah groovy... that ORA one doesn't look half bad, although I don't get why the "out of the tank" picture at the end. Moving it to the chopping blocks perhaps?

Either way, I had this one before ORA started releasing the red planet, so I can say it is not the ORA red planet, but may be a similar coral.
 
Past President
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
6,506
dswong01 said:
Is this the line for free corals :D

I heard that was here

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/2511
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
17,384
Well it's been about 6 months since my last FTS (with regular lights) I might soon be switching part of it over to LED, so I'd like to photograph this in case I kill stuff off :D

in before Bryan's mentioning of cleaning the glass
ftsapr202010.jpg
 
Top