High Tide Aquatics

Willie’s Last Aquarium Build

Yeah I meant the person that cut them probably measured 24" before cutting the new batch and didn't factor in blade width

Yeah I meant the person that cut them probably measured 24" before cutting the new batch and didn't factor in blade width
They should all be the same at least if he cut like that probably cut on different sides of the lines mixing it up on pieces sucks !! Another trip down for trimming

You still using them or returning?
I started building already before I noticed it. So I chopped it down with my table saw. Not perfect but hopefully passable, plus I’m tired of talking to them. Already had like 20 phone calls just to get to this point. I emailed them and asked for a discount.

Which product are you using Weld-on/ Scigrip- #4,#16,#45 ?
That methylene chloride has such a healthy smell Im sure your respirated up!
Can’t wait till your first hot tub dip!

Which product are you using Weld-on/ Scigrip- #4,#16,#45 ?
That methylene chloride has such a healthy smell Im sure your respirated up!
Can’t wait till your first hot tub dip!
Weld on 4. And maybe 16. Honestly I can’t smell anything. Some seams are meh. Anyone got any recommendations. Thinking about adding armor seams. Gonna go to tap plastics and ask.

1 inch by 1 inch square solid strip welded along the inside horizontal/ vertical corners would definitely add alota strength to the build not sure if necessary though.. Glass uses alot thinner material but a square chunk along the seem can be feesable with acrylic with better results

What I learned from a YouTube diy is place pings between your joints and apply glue wait for few seconds for the glue to dissolve the joint surface, and pull pins to compress all your joint for final result

1 inch by 1 inch square solid strip welded along the inside horizontal/ vertical corners would definitely add alota strength to the build not sure if necessary though.. Glass uses alot thinner material but a square chunk along the seem can be feesable with acrylic with better results
I think I’m gonna do this. Maybe not 1” but something.
What I learned from a YouTube diy is place pings between your joints and apply glue wait for few seconds for the glue to dissolve the joint surface, and pull pins to compress all your joint for final result
I’ve done the pin method on smaller projects. Since this was such a large project. It pin method would have taken too long to pull them all out. So I opted for the capillary method. Anyhoo. I’ll over come it. I always do.

Put the front panel on. And some of the euro bracing. the capillary action did not work in certain places. I’ll do the armor brace in those areas.
If someone has other ideas. I would love to hear about it.

Attachments

• IMG_2358.jpeg
    IMG_2358.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2359.jpeg
    IMG_2359.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2360.jpeg
    IMG_2360.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2356.jpeg
    IMG_2356.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2357.jpeg
    IMG_2357.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Euro brace completed. Overflow box completed.
Cross brace ? Yay or Nay ??? I prefer the open look. But cross bracing might be more practical. And us old folks like practical.
Oh also routered edges it square. I routered a little it wasn’t super smooth. Anyone got ideas or tricks. Guild me.

Attachments

• IMG_2368.jpeg
    IMG_2368.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2367.jpeg
    IMG_2367.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2366.jpeg
    IMG_2366.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Cross brace should reduce warping/bowing out in the center and give you a shelf for tools. Shouldn't block much light at all as long as you clean the algae underneath.

YO THE MONSTER IS BORN !!! Corner armor is in. Cross braces in. All done. Except Polishing. Water test mid week.

Attachments

• IMG_2373.jpeg
    IMG_2373.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2375.jpeg
    IMG_2375.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2374.jpeg
    IMG_2374.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2372.jpeg
    IMG_2372.jpeg