Neptune Aquatics

kinetic Reefer 170

Cycle is getting closer. Ammonia down to 0ppm. Nitrite down to 2ppm. Once nitrite dips to 0.2ppm I'll dose to 2ppm ammonia again. Repeating until I can get to 0's within 12 hours.

The VarioS pumps get in tomorrow to replace to Skimz. Let's hope the decibels drop like crazy. My Simplicity skimmer is pretty loud too... that might have to be replaced next.

By Thursday I'll have everything I need to setup the Algae Reactor (other than the algae), so I'll have that running by Friday with just an empty reactor. I think that'll be it. I'll hold off on all the Apex stuff until later this year.
Later this year like certain Friday in November?

Questions!
  1. Reef Octopus Elite 150-SSS, too oversized for my tank? Could I just crank down the pump power? I like that it uses the VarioS-2 pump, which I have for my chiller/reactors. That pump is really really quiet.
  2. I'm having second thoughts on a H. Magnifica. It will TOTALLY outgrow my tank, I don't even think there's enough liverock for it to hold onto. It would probably just attach to the glass. I could buy one small, and be forced to either sell it or upgrade... but that doesn't seem like a good thing to plan on. A more practical solution would be to just get some BTA's and my clownfish will just host the gyre pump...

Questions!
  1. Reef Octopus Elite 150-SSS, too oversized for my tank? Could I just crank down the pump power? I like that it uses the VarioS-2 pump, which I have for my chiller/reactors. That pump is really really quiet.
  2. I'm having second thoughts on a H. Magnifica. It will TOTALLY outgrow my tank, I don't even think there's enough liverock for it to hold onto. It would probably just attach to the glass. I could buy one small, and be forced to either sell it or upgrade... but that doesn't seem like a good thing to plan on. A more practical solution would be to just get some BTA's and my clownfish will just host the gyre pump...
I think not having the magnifica is a good choice.

I think not having the magnifica is a good choice.
That's what I think too. If I ever get a nice big tank, I'll go for it, but I think this tank is too small.

I'm guessing the simplicity is not quiet enough?
It's pretty quiet, and looks nice, but it's way louder than my VarioS-2 pump, and that's what the RO 150 uses. I asked around, that skimmer is way too oversized for my tank no matter how much I feed it, so it won't even skim most likely.

Its a dc pump sound wise is about same

It's about the same, but also different enough. My VarioS-4 and VarioS-2 are insanely quiet. There's almost no indication that they're on other than water movement. Totally different than my Skimz DC pumps, which were loud enough to hear in the other room (not that it was annoying, just louder than I expected DC pumps to be).

I think the Simplicity uses similar pumps as Skimz, since the controller is a rebranded Skimz controller. And there's word that Skimz just uses a rebranded Jebao pump. Whatever the case, I think I can get quieter. If nobody buys the Simplicity, I'll just keep it. But if Reef Octopus created a smaller skimmer with a VarioS, I would be so in.

Has anyone ordered from LA Reef before? I was thinking of getting a BTA from them instead of the H. Magnifica. I've heard OK things, but wanted to see if anyone from BAR had any experience?

I'm probably also going to visit Aquatic Collection and @robert4025 this week to see what they have too.

Tank Cycle Update
I can now dose 2ppm of ammonia and have Ammonia and Nitrites zero'd out within 10 hours. I've been doing this for about 3 days now. My big water change brought nitrates down from 50ppm down to 25ppm. I'm going to try to do a much bigger water change to get the nitrates way further. What's a good nitrate number to hit before introducing animals? Or should I just try to get down to 0ppm?

I don't think there's a right answer to your last question, as in, I don't think it matters. I think you're fine now to add livestock, or you could bring it down further if you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ordered from LA Reef before? I was thinking of getting a BTA from them instead of the H. Magnifica. I've heard OK things, but wanted to see if anyone from BAR had any experience?

I'm probably also going to visit Aquatic Collection and @robert4025 this week to see what they have too.

Tank Cycle Update
I can now dose 2ppm of ammonia and have Ammonia and Nitrites zero'd out within 10 hours. I've been doing this for about 3 days now. My big water change brought nitrates down from 50ppm down to 25ppm. I'm going to try to do a much bigger water change to get the nitrates way further. What's a good nitrate number to hit before introducing animals? Or should I just try to get down to 0ppm?
IME btas from LA are a bit overpriced and small. id go LFS or ask on RC if anyone has any for sale. I have ordered from LA before (orange spot filefish- divers den) and had a good experience with them and their customer service. My filefish wasnt eating for more than a week and they offered to extend the guarantee. Luckily it started eating a few days after I called.

I don't think there's a right answer to your last question, as in, I don't think it matters. I think you're fine now to add livestock, or you could bring it down further if you wish.

I'm going to shoot for two more 50% water changes to get nitrates down to single digits. Not really doing anything else right now anyway other than search for some nice anemones.

IME btas from LA are a bit overpriced and small. id go LFS or ask on RC if anyone has any for sale. I have ordered from LA before (orange spot filefish- divers den) and had a good experience with them and their customer service. My filefish wasnt eating for more than a week and they offered to extend the guarantee. Luckily it started eating a few days after I called.

Are you saying LiveAquaria? I was talking about actual lareefs.com. They have a bunch of BTA packs. But yeah, I think I'll wait and just look around locally first!

Cycling Complete for 5 days
Good news, my tank cycled well! For 5 days now, I've been able to dose 2ppm of ammonia and have levels come down within 12 hours to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. My Nitrates were 50ppm, but after three 50%+ water changes, I'm down to 10ppm. I didn't have any containers big enough to do anything bigger than that. I used two 18 gallon tubs, which I premixed about 16 gallons into one, and drained the same amount into the other.

There's no green algae anywhere, which I guess is good. Nothing really was put in the tank that could've had algae hitch hike over. But there is a film of transparent stuff, that looks a bit brown when I scrape it off with my flipper magnet. My skimmer started picking it right up. That's a good sign. No clean-up-crew until I build up a good amount of algae...

Algae Reactor done
Finished building my algae reactor. My chaeto should be arriving tomorrow from reefcleaners.org. Once I have that in the reactor, I'll take some photos of the final product and post the specs. It's not the prettiest, but it should work well.

NoPo4-X
I decided to try some NoPo4-x, since it came with my Red Sea Mature kit, and I ended up not using it. I think it's just vinegar to be honest. Anyway, I'm on day 3 of using it. Hasn't really helped nitrates, though hard to tell since I'm doing huge water changes. But today I'm done doing big water changes, and I'll see if the NoPo4-x does anything with the remaining nitrates. I'm getting the chaeto tomorrow, so I'm thinking of just not using it anymore and saving it for later if my nitrates aren't able to come back down.

At this rate, I probably will have a ULNS tank and not even need a CUC =P

Lights on
Turned the lights on! Here's a properly white balanced photo of it:

37439787656_9d51ab8c78_b.jpg

Cycling Complete for 5 days
Good news, my tank cycled well! For 5 days now, I've been able to dose 2ppm of ammonia and have levels come down within 12 hours to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. My Nitrates were 50ppm, but after three 50%+ water changes, I'm down to 10ppm. I didn't have any containers big enough to do anything bigger than that. I used two 18 gallon tubs, which I premixed about 16 gallons into one, and drained the same amount into the other.

There's no green algae anywhere, which I guess is good. Nothing really was put in the tank that could've had algae hitch hike over. But there is a film of transparent stuff, that looks a bit brown when I scrape it off with my flipper magnet. My skimmer started picking it right up. That's a good sign. No clean-up-crew until I build up a good amount of algae...

Algae Reactor done
Finished building my algae reactor. My chaeto should be arriving tomorrow from reefcleaners.org. Once I have that in the reactor, I'll take some photos of the final product and post the specs. It's not the prettiest, but it should work well.

NoPo4-X
I decided to try some NoPo4-x, since it came with my Red Sea Mature kit, and I ended up not using it. I think it's just vinegar to be honest. Anyway, I'm on day 3 of using it. Hasn't really helped nitrates, though hard to tell since I'm doing huge water changes. But today I'm done doing big water changes, and I'll see if the NoPo4-x does anything with the remaining nitrates. I'm getting the chaeto tomorrow, so I'm thinking of just not using it anymore and saving it for later if my nitrates aren't able to come back down.

At this rate, I probably will have a ULNS tank and not even need a CUC =P

Lights on
Turned the lights on! Here's a properly white balanced photo of it:

37439787656_9d51ab8c78_b.jpg

- Algae is everywhere. I can almost guarantee you already have it in your tank.

- That chaeto will not do well unless you are feeding it. It does need some phosphate to grow for cell structure, so if all you've been feeding is ammonia, chances are it won't survive unless you start ghost feeding. Or put livestock in that you are feeding.

- What were your thoughts about using nopox now? You have no bioload, so once you stop dosing ammonia, nitrates will stop rising. And since you're not putting any food in, there are likely to be little to no phosphates.

- You will need CUC, don't get too confident. Everyone needs CUC, even ULNS.

- I'd turn the lights off until you actually need them (i.e., you add coral), otherwise, you will get diatoms and/or algae.

- Algae is everywhere. I can almost guarantee you already have it in your tank.

- That chaeto will not do well unless you are feeding it. It does need some phosphate to grow for cell structure, so if all you've been feeding is ammonia, chances are it won't survive unless you start ghost feeding. Or put livestock in that you are feeding.

- What were your thoughts about using nopox now? You have no bioload, so once you stop dosing ammonia, nitrates will stop rising. And since you're not putting any food in, there are likely to be little to no phosphates.

- You will need CUC, don't get too confident. Everyone needs CUC, even ULNS.

- I'd turn the lights off until you actually need them (i.e., you add coral), otherwise, you will get diatoms and/or algae.

Thanks for the input Randy! All great points.

I'm going to find BTA and start feeding it mysis! So that should work well. I'm going to look for some PE Mysis at a LFS somewhere.

NoPox just to get rid of the last bits of nitrates. I did a few big water changes, but still have some left. I think I'll probably stop once I get the chaeto.

Aquatic Collection and Neptune's carry PE mysis.

10ppm Nitrate is not bad at all and may actually be ideal depending on what's in your tank. I don't think you need to worry about nopox. Once you flick on the lights and you have chaeto in there, you'll see it drop if you're not overfeeding.

Don't get sucked into the idea that you need zero nitrates and phosphates! It's a myth!

Aquatic Collection and Neptune's carry PE mysis.

10ppm Nitrate is not bad at all and may actually be ideal depending on what's in your tank. I don't think you need to worry about nopox. Once you flick on the lights and you have chaeto in there, you'll see it drop if you're not overfeeding.

Don't get sucked into the idea that you need zero nitrates and phosphates! It's a myth!

Ok great! I'll get the Mysis from Aquatic Collection this week, and I agree, I'll stop dosing nopox. Thanks again!

While you're at AC, you should be able to find a BTA. They had some when I popped in there today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOPOX can’t get rid of nitrates if you don’t have phosphate and other nutrients (as with ammonia dosing and no livestock like your situation). That’s why it has both NO and PO in the name. The organic carbon will just build up in your tank waiting for the rest of what the bacteria need to grow. Just like macroalgae. So I though I think NOPOX is great when used in a setup with livestock, I recommend against using it right now.

Also I wouldn’t worry too much about low levels of nitrate left over, it’s not particularly toxic.

Back