Our mission

Mozby's Noob Nano Reef (Nuvo 20)

It happens to mine when it grows to big and reduces the flow. Usually happens only on the surface for me. Is this only a surface issue or The whole fuge?

Do you have pods that you have to reseed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I do reseed pods too.

This is really a strange situation. As @Rostato mentioned earlier, it does seem that the issue occurs when there is no flow. However, I have noticed the issue accelerate when phosphates and nitrates are very low. This could be a coincidence, but haven’t been able to pinpoint the issue yet.

When po4 and no3 are low chaeto will start melting away especially if you have a long light cycle. The best way to know if your chaeto is going to start melting is seeing how hard it is to pull some off. If you can easily break off a chunk you probably have too low of nutrients. But if you have to really try and break it apart your good to go. It shouldn’t break off into small pieces ever. Should be like long angel hair pasta.

When po4 and no3 are low chaeto will start melting away especially if you have a long light cycle. The best way to know if your chaeto is going to start melting is seeing how hard it is to pull some off. If you can easily break off a chunk you probably have too low of nutrients. But if you have to really try and break it apart your good to go. It shouldn’t break off into small pieces ever. Should be like long angel hair pasta.
Makes sense.... it does pull apart fairly easily now. I'll test no3/po4 levels when I get home today.

Chaeto mystery update:

Water Test 12/8
Po4: 0 (ULR Phosphorus checker)
No3: <5ppm
Alk: 9.2dkh
PH: 8.2

So....low nutrients... that could be why the chaeto is melting.
Thinking back about the most recent changes I did...
1. I did a larger than usual (25%) water change because I cleaned out the whole back chamber as it was getting nasty.
2. Did the removal of all the gunk in the back chamber also take away excess nutrients?
3. Added a chemi blue nano packet in the media basket (I confess for no good reason other than I had some still).
4. Upped kalk dosage to 1tsp per gallon and my alk has increased to 9.2 (8.3 last week), which also suggests corals will consume more nutrients (right?).
(I also changed out carbon but that doesn't affect nutrients)

What corrective steps should I be taking? Off the top of my head....
1. Hold off on weekly WC (approx 10 days since the last one)
2. Feed a little more?
3. Remove chemi pure blue nano (already done)
4. Reduce chaeto light schedule
5. Or remove chaeto altogether?

Last edited:
What motivated that decision?

I added more corals and am also trying to stimulate more growth with a gradual increase. BRS recommends a medium stocked tank to have 1tsp per gallon kalk dosage. I’m over the medium stocked level, probably leaning towards heavy stocked for my tank.

What are your Ca and Mg levels?

Watch out for precipitation.

Also with low nutrients and high Alk, you run the risk of burning your corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

[QUOTE="Rostato, post: 337486, member: 14720"It shouldn’t break off into small pieces ever. Should be like long angel hair pasta.[/QUOTE]
What would you think if chaeto breaks easily and is crispy?

Just reduce your fuge light schedule by half for a week and check po4. Adjust light schedule as necessary to keep po4 around .02-.09

I would do your normal wc routine. You still need to replace other elements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="Rostato, post: 337486, member: 14720"It shouldn’t break off into small pieces ever. Should be like long angel hair pasta.
What would you think if chaeto breaks easily and is crispy?[/QUOTE]
Not sure what you’re getting at. When does that happen?

Don't want to interrupt your thread, but the chaeto in my fuge was green but crispy. I figured it was taking up 2-part components. I got rid of it when I cleaned my sump. Wondering what caused that.

Don't want to interrupt your thread, but the chaeto in my fuge was green but crispy. I figured it was taking up 2-part components. I got rid of it when I cleaned my sump. Wondering what caused that.

Like hard as a rock, or stiff but still Malleable?

Sounds normal. But if it’s breaking into many pieces very easily then it’s a problem. Should be long like spaghetti

Back