Kessil

kinetic Reefer 170

My larger ocellaris hates my guts. Ever since I rehomed my two mocha gladiators, this little guy now attacks me at all costs when my hand gets anywhere close to the tank. I wear those latex gloves, and he starts trying to rip it to shreds. He jumps out of the water to bite my arm too. The little f!#@$er is crazy, I even ended up catching him in my palm for a second when he jumped out to bit me. Then bit down on my glove and eventually flipped back into the water. I guess he'll be a she eventually, and hopefully chill out a bit.

I know ocellaris can be mean, but this guy has always been kind to other fish and my hand. All my past ocellaris would eat from my hand, never biting me. I guess I have been lucky.

So now whenever I need to stick my hand in the tank, I just stick the net in the water and he'll attack it, and I'll scoop him up into a breeder box. He never learns.

So after isolating the insane clown, I ended up cleaning all my pumps (varios 4 return, varios 2 chiller/reactor pump, skimmer and pump, and the gyre). Probably the first time doing a deep clean in a year. I didn't realize how much the cleaning would help the flow. I had to dial my return flow down from 68% to 44% intensity to get the same flow rate (+ or -, gauging it with my overlfow herbie drain).

Feels good though! Things are running smoothly. I'll probably need to clean my pumps a bit more than once a year...

Those nasty fish are healthy ones!
And caution during cleaning. That's when things get broken....

Yeah! I’m always scared to snap an impeller. The gyre pump impeller is kind of messed up, skimmer impeller is slightly cracked too. Not from me I hope. I’ll need to get those replaced. They seem to work fine so far.

I wonder if you could buy a heavy rubber glove, fill it with paper or something, and hang it in the tank.
Like the mirror trick, the fish may get tired of it.

I wonder if you could buy a heavy rubber glove, fill it with paper or something, and hang it in the tank.
Like the mirror trick, the fish may get tired of it.

That sounds like a great idea. Even better is if I put it next to the feeder ring.

Hi. I am getting a puppy in two weeks. Goodbye world...

Tank is still running well. I still manage water changes every week. Nothing has died, things are growing, nothing new added. Ca/Alk intake increased by 2x in the last couple of months. FTS looks the same, so I won't post it =)

For the past few months, I only touch my tank once a week to do water changes: clean glass, clean skimmer cup, change the water, test alk/ca, adjust dosing pumps if needed. Pretty much cruise control.

Oh, I'm getting an 8 week old White Swiss Shepherd from a very reputable breeder in Oregon. Who here has pups? How f'd am I? I can't wait...

Hi. I am getting a puppy in two weeks. Goodbye world...

Tank is still running well. I still manage water changes every week. Nothing has died, things are growing, nothing new added. Ca/Alk intake increased by 2x in the last couple of months. FTS looks the same, so I won't post it =)

For the past few months, I only touch my tank once a week to do water changes: clean glass, clean skimmer cup, change the water, test alk/ca, adjust dosing pumps if needed. Pretty much cruise control.
That's a dream tank routine! :)

That's a dream tank routine! :)

I know. It's incredible how easy this tank has been (knock on wood) ever since I was hit with dinos.

I've actually gone three weeks without a water change, and no adverse problems (I had a long vacation, didn't even need to check on my tank once other than my webcam). When I got home, I measured and NO3/PO4 were barely registering on my tests, everything else I could test for was fine. I did a big water change anyway just in case, but it was nice to know that at least NO3 wasn't building up (thanks to NoPox dosing I guess).

Dosing is automated (plenty of fluid)
Feeding is automated
Auto Topoff, and the topoff for the topoff are automated with safeguards

OK, so this may just have jinxed me, but let's hope it keeps it up!

Oh, I'm getting an 8 week old White Swiss Shepherd from a very reputable breeder in Oregon. Who here has pups? How f'd am I? I can't wait...

Haha I too am getting a pup soon! Pick it up Saturday from riverside (ugh not looking forward to the drive. It’s an Alaskan klee kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinetic, I’ve been following your thread for a while and I’m pretty much setting up the same set up. I was wondering what you thought of the Maxspect Gyre XF130 on that tank. I’ve never owned a gyre and I’m intrigued by their design.

Art try a magnet cleaner so your hands don't need to be in water as much. My ocellaris in my desktop 6 gal attacks me too, but never a had bite...more of a surprise always not pain. Have fun with the dog.

Haha I too am getting a pup soon! Pick it up Saturday from riverside (ugh not looking forward to the drive. It’s an Alaskan klee kai

Oh nice. A little husky that doesn't have the crazy sled pulling energy!! I've heard of them, but I don't know if I've ever seen one in real life. Looks like it'll be a great pup. Congrats. I'm picking up my white swiss shep on Sunday, from near Albany Oregon, the drive is going to be pretty bad too, though I get to go through some beautiful scenery (stopping at Mt Shasta, Crater Lake, etc.). The good thing is, my sister lives up near there in Eugene, so I have some more to look forward too. Good luck with your pup! We should compare notes since we'll have both our pups at about the same time ;)

Kinetic, I’ve been following your thread for a while and I’m pretty much setting up the same set up. I was wondering what you thought of the Maxspect Gyre XF130 on that tank. I’ve never owned a gyre and I’m intrigued by their design.

Quiet, pretty much unobtrusive. My SPS are all alive now that dinoflagellates are gone =) The flow isn't as turbulent, but otherwise I think it does a good job. Much less dead spots than I would've gotten otherwise. If I did it again, I'd still go with the Gyre.

Art try a magnet cleaner so your hands don't need to be in water as much. My ocellaris in my desktop 6 gal attacks me too, but never a had bite...more of a surprise always not pain. Have fun with the dog.

Ah yes, I do have a magnet cleaner but I don't use it as much as I should. Now I Just put on some vinyl gloves and let that clown go to town on it.

Thanks! I'll need all the luck I can get for the dog!

904e862e9170198dd21ce1fa4a1db72e.jpg

Got the little fluff ball! Send pics of yours when you got it.

Also stopped by Cali kid corals since I was in LA area. Cool store. Real nice owner. Highly suggest to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back