Neptune Aquatics

Anyone here dabble in the koi hobby as well?

Message me when you start the hobby! Im down to help you with pond logistics and picking out koi. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always been interested in koi pond.
My hesitation with it is the fact that it costs a lot money and effort but I don't get to enjoy it all the time. I can't walk up to it at night and see it. I probably wouldn't get to see it very much in the winter because of work. My family would rarely go out and look at it. I could only see the tops of my fish (when they aren't at the bottom of the pond).
This seems like a big difference compared to having a reef tank in my family room that I can enjoy and work on anytime I want. I can see the fish swimming all around and not just from and above view.
These are just my random thoughts.

Message me when you start the hobby! Im down to help you with pond logistics and picking out koi. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely! Thanks for the offer, i will definitely take you up on that. Funny story, yesyerday3the wife and i went to look at a couple of homes for sale. One house that we really liked had paintings of koi all over the house. I told me wife "if this isnt a sign, i dont know what is.." she quickly rolled her eyes lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've always been interested in koi pond.
My hesitation with it is the fact that it costs a lot money and effort but I don't get to enjoy it all the time. I can't walk up to it at night and see it. I probably wouldn't get to see it very much in the winter because of work. My family would rarely go out and look at it. I could only see the tops of my fish (when they aren't at the bottom of the pond).
This seems like a big difference compared to having a reef tank in my family room that I can enjoy and work on anytime I want. I can see the fish swimming all around and not just from and above view.
These are just my random thoughts.
I share a lot of the concerns that you have. But i think after spending on your equipment, and pond the only thing you spend on is the koi and food ofcourse. And as Nelson mentioned earlier you can spend as much or as little on the koi as you want. The difference with the reef hobby is that you continue to spend on corals and ever evolving gadgets. Maybe Im oversimplifying it. As for not being able to enjoy them as much, i guess that depends on how much time you like to spend in your yard. I'm also considering building a pond that is above ground and that has a small window so you can actually view the koi like you would a fish in an aquarium. All that said, i am still in very early planning stages.. a lot of my plans can still change. I dont even have a yard yet!

I used to have a koi pond but the cats ate my expensive koi so i gave up. Will probably be getting into fancy goldfish.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I used to have a koi pond but the cats ate my expensive koi so i gave up. Will probably be getting into fancy goldfish.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Wow didnt know cats can actually catch koi. How deep was your pond if you dont mind me asking?

Back