Our mission

DBTC - OG Bounce - Needs some TLC

Update: 50% + recovered

@bfirecat -- almost ready to come home to you...

20200805_171624.jpg

Amazing!
Is it under low, med or high flow?
Do you know the PAR numbers?
Are you dosing anything else besides zoox?

Thanks
Low-medium flow... semi dirty tank. Nothing in there except nems mostly. Last time I changed water was when I picked up the shroom from you. Lol.

I dosed a few rounds of zoox at the beginning and coral-vite once a month.

PAR at about 250...

Haha, maybe I need to dirty up my tank more.... sitting at 10 nitrate, .08 phosphate now.
That should Be very good for most corals. If there’s ones you can’t keep with those nutrient levels then just accept it and don’t try to keep those corals is what I’d say.

Agree. Should be good for most... shrooms like higher nitrates but won't complain as long as you aren't running low nutrients. I have my OG growing in my sps dominant system with no prob.

My guess is you might have PAR shocked the shroom at the beginning but it takes awhile to show... once the zoox is depleted, the shroom needs to slow reestablish so nitrients are key to assist.

That said, i am acclimating your OG for most tanks at higher PAR (might have mentioned before) since this might go into DBTC once you get it back. So, you should have no problems under most tank conditions hereafter. At least I would think so. (Mine is probably getting nuked at 350+ PAR hah)

I think the bleaching event happened when I dosed Vibrant for bubble algae, which crashed the phosphate and nitrate.
However, I got the nutrient levels back but the bounces didn't recover like the other stuff.
The other bounce that I have (which is still slightly bleached) just expelled some more zoox yesterday.... so I'm just confused.
Perhaps I take @Coral reefer's suggestion and get rid of those mushrooms.

There’s almost always at least one type of coral that most people just struggle with for whatever reason. I’ve learned to just accept it and focus on the ones that work for me.

I think the bleaching event happened when I dosed Vibrant for bubble algae, which crashed the phosphate and nitrate.
However, I got the nutrient levels back but the bounces didn't recover like the other stuff.
The other bounce that I have (which is still slightly bleached) just expelled some more zoox yesterday.... so I'm just confused.
Perhaps I take @Coral reefer's suggestion and get rid of those mushrooms.
Ah yeah, at first i was wondering about your nutrients but saw you mentioning nitrates at 10, so didn't think it would be it. But if you bottom out nitrates and phos, that will bleach shrooms out without doubt.

Posting update on proper thread as well...

A bit after 2 months of TLC -- 80% recovered.

@bfirecat at this point, I'd say your baby is ready to come home tonyou after mid-September. Do you want her home at 250PAR presently or hooked on high PAR (probably pushing 400+ with my other OG)?

20200815_201706.jpg

Congrats!! Looks great. for what it's worth- I've heard that OGs don't really like straight Acropower for some reason, and definitely do better with AB+.

I also have mine in high PAR - like 350+ and I dose both AB+ and Acropower daily.

Back