Our mission

hello.. another new reefer in south bay

newfly

Supporting Member
I have FOWLR tank for a long time and a couple of months ago pulled the trigger for a new 65g Waterbox AIO tank get my hands wet on reefing. The tank is supposed to be here next week. Super exited to get the build going.

I'm going to read up on how DBTC, pay it forward, and other interesting thing on this forum. I am all for propagation of marine life versus collecting from the wild. However, i'm so new that i'm not sure i can contribute much yet.

I started a build thread on reef2reef . Still new, not much update yet. My scape pic is attached. The rocks is done cycling in a tub , just waiting for the tank. Here is the equipment list i have bought:

Tank: Waterbox 64.5 AIO (48" x 20" x 16")
Lights: 2x Reefi UNO ( not shipped yet)
Return pump: Varios2
Circulation: 2x Nero 3 + i have a few Sicce Nano if needed for dead spot
ATO: tunze 3155
Heater: 2x Fluval M 150W
Controller: Hydros 2 ( will be setup as failsafe for ATO and heater)

QT Fluval 13.5 stock

Livestock:

Current have 2x chromis and neon dottyback

Plan to add:

Kole Tang
Flame Angel
5 more chromis ?

No idea on corals yet. I'm not in a hurry, so maybe i'll follow the BRS 4-months cycle recommendation. I do like monti's but not sure its suitable as a beginner coral.

I'm sure I will need a lot of advise and guidance in this journey.

Attachments

• IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 178
Welcome! Did the chromis and dottyback come from the FOWLR setup?

Im curious to see how a big aio works, I have an AIO too but it’s 25 gal

Welcome!!! Start a tank journal here as well. Consider a supporting membership if your interested in the dbtc program. Best group of people here to help you on your reeflink journey.

Welcome! Did the chromis and dottyback come from the FOWLR setup?

Im curious to see how a big aio works, I have an AIO too but it’s 25 gal

Yes, chromis and dottyback in my current 15g setup. Going to take that down once my new DT is up and running. First time with AIO as well. I have a canister on my current tank and just hate dealing with pipe leaks etc every few years.

I would rethink the flame angel. Typically Not coral safe

Thank you. Yes i read they are "with caution". Any suggestion on bright color fish that is likely not going to get killed by the neon or vice versa? i think most wrasse and blenny is out. can;t have too many tang in this smaller setup. I might end up with 1 kole and a bunch of damsels/chromis... haha

there are some pretty big species that get 6-7". A group of lyre tails could hold their own against the dottyback I'd think.

I read that they would need a much bigger thank. Live Aquaria recommend at least 125G. Mine is not even half that if you exclude the space taken by rear sump (AIO). I'm just going by info i read online. It could be wrong

Back to square one. haha I thought about the the stocking list for a long time. I hate to give up the neon. He have been quite mellow for a dottyback in the last 6 months since i got him. Of course things can change in a moment. take the risk with flame or continue to search for suitable fish. I am also aware a group of chromis will likely kill off one at a time. Arg... Maybe i should just go back to FOWLR. I can have butterfly and angel. :)

I'm getting a few more chromis today to put in the QT tank. The decision on flame/coral beauty or other angle can wait for at least 30 days for the next round of fish in the Qt.

Thank you all for your opinion. I know every individual fish is different but there is some truth to the general behavior of the species.

Indeed. And it is correct to be wary of a neon dotty becoming an asshole.

Yeah, its a tough call. He have been behaving with a pair of chromis so far. I have some time to think about this. The first batch of fish (more chromis) is in day 1 of 30days Qt. I'll decide what to do with the neon then. I saw a bunch of smaller 1-2inch lyretail anthias in 360coral as well as Neptune. Of course they told me its fine in my tank. :)

Back