Jestersix

Live Brine shrimp in south bay?

newfly

Supporting Member
Do anyone know if i can source live brine shrimp , ideally near south bay? Years ago, petclub in mountain view have it. They since move to cupertino and no longer carry livestock.

I have a couple of clownfish in QT and not eating. Hoping to get them going with live food.

I supposed i can start hatching.

I have tried: omega one freeze dry mysis, PE pellets, HIkari S, Nyos True Algae. No luck so far. The chromis is eating like a pig

I brought my clown some shucked live oyster when they are not eating. I just finely dice them. Once they try it. They are all over it.

Now I mix them with shrimp. All my fish loves it

I brought my clown some shucked live oyster when they are not eating. I just finely dice them. Once they try it. They are all over it.

Now I mix them with shrimp. All my fish loves it
A recommendation I saw somewhere else said to freeze oysters or clams before feeding to ensure there are no hitchhikers. And if you freeze the clam meat you can use a grater to make bite sized pieces for your fish.

A recommendation I saw somewhere else said to freeze oysters or clams before feeding to ensure there are no hitchhikers. And if you freeze the clam meat you can use a grater to make bite sized pieces for your fish.

Typical home freezers are not usually suitable to completely kill parasites because they do not get cold enough.

Here are the recommended freezing temps and duration from the FDA for killing parasites in fish for human consumption:

"The temperature of the freezing process, the length of time the fish is held frozen, and the type of parasite appear to be the most important factors. For example, tapeworms are more susceptible to freezing than are roundworms. Flukes appear to be more resistant to freezing than roundworms.

Freezing and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours are sufficient to kill parasites. "

For bacteria, well, a lot of if you can’t kill with our freezers. Scientists who study 3. Coli store it at minus 80F to be studied later.

Source: https://www.fda.gov/media/80777/download
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...ezing-food-doesnt-kill-e-coli-and-other-germs

Last edited:
If the clownfish have been not eating less than 3-4 days, they will come around and eat whatever you give them. Don’t worry yourself with special food, they are just being picky at this point. If they have not been eating more than 4 days... well this would be a new clownfish behavior

Made the trip to AC. No brine today. I am glad I did anyway, they have very good selection of fish and decent price. they have 2-3 small kole tang I’m eying.

Called pet club in SJ. Out of brine. Must be my luck!

anyhow my picky clown is indeed eating a bit of of newly hatched brine. Doesn’t go crazy like all the other fish. As long as he is eating , even a bit, I think I’m good.

Another week, I can get them out of copper . Hopefully he will make it till then.

Back