Kessil

BARcode is coming...

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
Just a little teaser with a special thanks to @BleepBloopMunchMunch for having a long name to test layouts.

BARcode.png

So awesome!

How do we integrate it with the site and discussion? I mean I realize it uses our regular domain and we can link via nav bars and manually within threads, but I’m wondering how it actively links to discussion threads, since people like to discuss. For example, can it display data like the current chain within a discussion thread, or automatically link to barcode from the top of every page in a dbtc thread, something like that? Not sure how separate it needs to be.

This is so cool! Im finally going to learn names of my coral!

Can we have both common name and the proper taxonomy name too for each? (Whatever that's called.). Maybe in small font under the common names that are displayed?

BARcode-frag-with-proper-name.png

So awesome!

How do we integrate it with the site and discussion? I mean I realize it uses our regular domain and we can link via nav bars and manually within threads, but I’m wondering how it actively links to discussion threads, since people like to discuss. For example, can it display data like the current chain within a discussion thread, or automatically link to barcode from the top of every page in a dbtc thread, something like that? Not sure how separate it needs to be.
This is actually a very philosophically complicated question. I have given it a lot of thought and still have a ton of gaps. It would be worth an in-depth discussion soon. Sorry for the short and vague reply but I'm exhausted.

@svreef this is amazing! Thank you very much for doing this! I think it was mentioned elsewhere, but will this be available for individuals to log their corals as well? Or only dbtc? I have been keeping my own coral log as a spreadsheet, but it's very tedious to update, so I end up not doing it.

@svreef this is amazing! Thank you very much for doing this! I think it was mentioned elsewhere, but will this be available for individuals to log their corals as well? Or only dbtc? I have been keeping my own coral log as a spreadsheet, but it's very tedious to update, so I end up not doing it.

Yes, you can keep your own corals in the system. It’ll also work for PIF stuff.

So awesome!

BARcode will be able to create threads for new items or you can point it to an existing thread and it will make posts when things are updated. BARcode is about organization whereas the forum is the means for communication.

So, for example, when you go into BARcode and give someone a frag, BARcode will automatically post to that effect in the item’s forum thread.

That’s not implemented yet, but will be fairly easy to do.

BARcode will be able to create threads for new items or you can point it to an existing thread and it will make posts when things are updated. BARcode is about organization whereas the forum is the means for communication.

So, for example, when you go into BARcode and give someone a frag, BARcode will automatically post to that effect in the item’s forum thread.

That’s not implemented yet, but will be fairly easy to do.
And I imagine a frag’s provenance can be shown? Each frag has its unique ID which can be traced to its parent?

Back