Kessil

xr15 blue or pro

jamie

Supporting Member
hey guys so i ve decided to go with the xr15's cant decide which model to get. i feel like i would go with the pro since you can tune it to be on the blue side.
on my ai16's if all the blues and viloet are at 100, i'll have the white shift between 30-40 same on my reef 90's. then on my ap700 i usually have it on the 3rd to 4th blue setting from the bottom. if that makes sense. if anyone has had any of those light and have a recommendation. that be great.. thanks

Sounds like you prefer the blue side so would go blue. Each can make the color of the other by turning down channels, but at the loss of PAR. If you run blue most of the time and want all the PAR you can get while blue, answer made.

Also, if you care about such things G6 radions may be out soon.

1652211912978.png

say i wanted to be in the middle of the two side by side photos at 7:40, you think the pro's or the blues can make it happen?
I think pro. Blue is very blue. They say it is set to be AB+ spectrum with everything at 100%, but that's clearly not the case as evidenced in the video. That being said, to get the pro to be bluer, you will lose par, because you have to turn the whites down.

Color is 100% subjective and anything you see in a video/photo is white balance dependent. If you are really right on the 50/50 line, flip a coin or pick best resale value. Pretty sure you would be happy with either if you were really in the middle and never did a side by side comparison.

If you know which Preset you would use, I think you could find the Dana Riddle tests on each light and see which has the best PAR performance for that specific preset between the two. I am sure he has tested both. If it is a custom setting you are after, you will need to interpolate the results or actually do it with a PAR meter and see them side by side yourself.

Last edited:
My next Radion will be a Blue and then I’ll let you guys know when I put it side by side with my Pros what I think. I run AB+ with a little extra white and no red/green so my thinking is since AB+ only runs 20% whites you should be able to bump up the white channels even on the Blue lamps to get the same color balance as the Pro on AB+ but with higher overall output power, but remains to be seen. I tried ordering one a few weeks ago but it got smashed by UPS.

My next Radion will be a Blue and then I’ll let you guys know when I put it side by side with my Pros what I think. I run AB+ with a little extra white and no red/green so my thinking is since AB+ only runs 20% whites you should be able to bump up the white channels even on the Blue lamps to get the same color balance as the Pro on AB+ but with higher overall output power, but remains to be seen. I tried ordering one a few weeks ago but it got smashed by UPS.
Bummer!

The issue is you can't do that. The "blue" model is meant to be run at 100% all channels to get an+ color. So it doesn't have whites running at 20% it has 20% as many white leds.. I'm not sure those numbers are exact, but that's the theory behind it.
So a pro, if you run everything at 100% it's very white, which is why ab+ turns the white way down. The way to get more white from a "blue" is to turn the blue way down.

I am running Radion G5 blue, with ab+ program (all channels set to 100%) and intensity at 65%, it still white to me. I add a couple Blue bar and reduce white channel to 60% only.

There are 6 total white LEDs on the xr30 blue vs 30 on the pro.. Which is 20% as many white LEDs. To me, the comparison of my g4 pros on AB+ to my g5 blue on 100% is very much like the side by side in the video posted earlier. The blue is VERY blue.

Screenshot_20220511-145800_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220511-145836_Chrome.jpg

I am running Radion G5 blue, with ab+ program (all channels set to 100%) and intensity at 65%, it still white to me. I add a couple Blue bar and reduce white channel to 60% only.

If you're running at 65%/60% and it's too white, why add a blue bar versus increasing the blue intensity on the light you already have?

If you're running at 65%/60% and it's too white, why add a blue bar versus increasing the blue intensity on the light you already have?
I think he means overall intensity is 65%, all channels are at 100%. But to your same point, could drop the white channel intensity on the radions below 100% if he wants it more blue.

Edit: re reading, maybe the bars are all blue, and the radions whites are at 60%? This seems crazy to me. This would be very blue.:eek:

There are 6 total white LEDs on the xr30 blue vs 30 on the pro.. Which is 20% as many white LEDs. To me, the comparison of my g4 pros on AB+ to my g5 blue on 100% is very much like the side by side in the video posted earlier. The blue is VERY blue.

View attachment 38155View attachment 38156
But if you ran white LEDs on the Radion Blue at 100% (instead of the 20% prescribed by the the AB+ Program) it would be 5x more output with 5x fewer white LEDs, or similar spectrum right?

But if you ran white LEDs on the Radion Blue at 100% (instead of the 20% prescribed by the the AB+ Program) it would be 5x more output with 5x fewer white LEDs, or similar spectrum right?
No, when you select ab+ on the blues it sets all channels to 100%.

Also I just completely screwed up my lighting verifying this... Mobius sucks...

It does show up less blue than I remember from when I was originally setting up the light... So I guess I have acclimated to the blue .. I do still think it's a bit bluer than he pros on AB+. But not as drastic as I remembered

Last edited:
Back