Cali Kid Corals

Best way to add rock structure to establish tank

Can you recommend me the best way to add new rock structure in to an establish tank? My tank is doing fine, sps is doing good, torches are happy. I am planning to add some more rock structure into my tank so I can add some more sps. Few things I try to avoid:

1/ Trying to avoid new rock cycling in tank if add new rock.
2/ Trying to avoid unwanted pest if add rock from unknown sources.
3/ I seen some new rock structure recently on market that they advertise will not need cycle. I am not sure that is true but they seem like man made structure.

What do you suggest?
Thanks.

Can you recommend me the best way to add new rock structure in to an establish tank? My tank is doing fine, sps is doing good, torches are happy. I am planning to add some more rock structure into my tank so I can add some more sps. Few things I try to avoid:

1/ Trying to avoid new rock cycling in tank if add new rock.
2/ Trying to avoid unwanted pest if add rock from unknown sources.
3/ I seen some new rock structure recently on market that they advertise will not need cycle. I am not sure that is true but they seem like man made structure.

What do you suggest?
Thanks.

It depends on what you’re adding and how much.

- If you’re adding dry dead rock that’s new, I’d just put it in. This is for rock like Marco rock.

- if it’s new man made rock, just put it in.

- If it’s dry rock that’s used, but dirty, I’d probably cure it if it was a significant amount of rock. If it’s just a small amount, then just put it in. A mature tank will have no issue handling a small amount.

- If it’s live rock from the ocean, I’d cure it and QT it just so any die off from shipping gets cured and you also have some time to remove any unwanted critters.

- If it’s from another reefers tank and it hasn’t been out of water long, your choice if you want to observe it for unwanted critters, but it shouldn’t cause a cycle if you put it in the tank.

Back